HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bozeman, MT Spring Bear Hunt.. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 AM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dsconnell
We have talked to some people in the area and have a general idea as to where to go but any additional help would be greatly appreciated! We are going to be staying in the Bozeman area and and are towing up a Jeep to be able to get up in the mountains and away from foot traffic so to speak and just looking for suggestions on some areas if anyone is familiar to get into some bears.. We are leaving on the 22nd and start hunting on the 23rd through that whole week.

Thanks for your time!
You can find bears pretty much anywhere around Bozeman. I've seen them up around Flathead Pass and south of Bridger Bowl in the Bridgers. One of my college buddies rode his bike up Hyalite after school one evening and shot one. The Bear Trap Canyon/Lee Metcalf Wilderness over on the Madison River is another decent spot not too far from town. There's plenty of trail systems between Bozeman and Big Sky that are worth checking out too.

I don't know what you mean about the Jeep though. Most roads that are legal to take a vehicle on you could drive about any highway vehicle on. It's not like you'll be doing any kind of off-roading in that area, because almost all old forest service type roads are off limits to vehicles. Bozeman is kind of a hiking Mecca so you'll probably find "foot traffic" anywhere there's a trail.