HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bozeman, MT Spring Bear Hunt.. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dsconnell
Good to know Jeff and thanks for the information.. We will keep these in mind.. Bear trap canyon is where we were going to go. DNR officer from the area pointed us to there..

The officer told my buddy as big and heavy as his truck is he may get stuck so we are towing the jeep just in case.. But I was also thinking that we would be able to get back into some more remote spots.. Doesnt sound like that is the case though.. Sounds like we will be hiking it..

Are there many color phase bears in the area?
Whoever told you that you were going to Jeep into the backcountry was jerking you around. Roads around Bozeman are either paved or they're good gravel roads that end where the non-motorized areas start. Unless there's a surprise late dump of snow (which there could well be this year) you could get most places in a 2-wheel drive car. You certainly aren't going to Jeep into the Bear Trap Canyon because it's a wilderness area. It's part of the Lee Metcalf Wilderness and it's pretty dang rugged.

http://www.blm.gov/mt/st/en/fo/dillo...bear_trap.html

Most black bear around there are black, but there are cinnamons too. I wouldn't hold out for one though. Don't be one of those tools that gets buck fever and shoots a grizzly. It's not hard at all to tell the difference.