Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I smell smoke

Old 07-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I smell smoke

Kinda sweating it out here in the bush hopeing fire conditions die down as Glacier Park Mt. to Blairsville, Alberta are being threaten along the east side of the divide, no rain in sight and fire restrictions will go into a stage 2 here on the west side of the divide, been seeing some hellaious sunsets from the fires. We need to get some of that wet stuff real soon, its just real dry and in the 100-104 F range. []Wondering if anyone esle is sweating it? Bobby [>:]
Old 07-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I smell smoke

Hope you get that rain soon! My friend in Kalispell said it was getting bad. I was supposed to go out 3rd week of August to fish the back country but he said to cancel..
Old 07-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was sweating it a few weeks ago. We have had a few fires break out around Colorado. We are thankfully getting the wet stuff now though. Hopefully it will keep it up for the rest of the year.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

They got a few fires going here in Wy & of those some arent expected to be contained till september ..it isnt even august yet

No rain in sight that i can see.. it would take a wholewhole lot too !

Where i live 10 inchs of rain is a normal yr( less then many deserts etc)...havent seen anything like that in about 5 yrs& not a whole lota snow either[:' (]
Old 07-30-2003, 01:12 PM

I' m always concerned about fires in elk country. As good as is for the habitat, I like to see small fires that help to revitalize portions of good habitat instead of some of the massive firestorms we' ve seen. I' m hunting out of Wisdom in SW Montana this year and I' ve been keeping in touch with my outfitter. They' ve had some small burns in areas where he fishes, but not in the elk hunting area!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:54 PM

I was in the Bob Marshal Wilderness packing for an outfitter from the 22 of July through yesterday. We started up at the Middle Fork of the Teton River and made a big circle on this side of the divide down to Benchmark, Southwest of Augusta. About the third day in, the smoke got real bad and we turned on the radio and started hearing about all these fires. They were on stage 1 back there, and we couldn' t have open fires so we had to use a wood stove. Our next trip will be during stage 2 probably, it' s on the 2nd of August, and all we can use then is propane stoves! I was leading 2 colts and 2 mules behind my boss, Rocky, who is the outfitter. He had 12 mules and man I couldn' t see my hands through the dust! We need the rain so bad it is scary. On our last layover day, our water source was a spring-problem was that the spring, which was once a good sized stream, had turned into a trickle, if that. The area I archery hunt for elk in the breaks this year is on fire, and I can only pray that nothing else catches.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jersy joe your friend is right, the month of August is about the worst time anyone could be up here, it is so hot, you just can' t be outside unless your in a shade.
1eyefish, the hot season hasn' t started here yet from what they say, it starts in August here too, oh boy I just can' t wait. [>:]
Montanahunter, I am surprised they even let you guys up there dureing a stage 2 fire restriction, cheque ahead of time to be sure. All forest operations over here have been suspended which makes perfekly good sense as it wouldn,' t take a lot to spark a blaze. There will be no huckleberries due to no rain and I was so much looking forward to that next month. There is quite a few locals takeing the fire training classes in preperation to assist in combating the fire, they say the money is good, but then again you earn it the hard way too. Bobby
Old 07-30-2003, 10:05 PM

How much more of this before they start shutting down the woods to everyone? I' m all set to head to Augusta in Sept for Elk, starting to worry it won' t happen

I know heere in WA the Farewell Creek fire is over 100,000 acres and rising and they already said nothing will hepl them but rain
Old 07-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Seems the weather patterns are upset all round the world at the moment.
Down here it' s mid-winter and there' s hardly any snow. No snowline on the mountains, the peaks are bare and rocky. Oldtimers saying this is the first time it' s been like this.
The weather is warm like spring.
I' m seeing clutches of Mallard ducklings.
Is this what they call global warming, or just some freak occurance.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:15 PM

Must be " El Nino" !! They been blaming the funky weather here on that for 5 years now.

Tim, I would' nt trade in your snow boots for Bermuda shorts just yet!!!

Quick Reply: I smell smoke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.