HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I smell smoke
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 05:54 PM
montana_hunter_16

Default RE: I smell smoke

I was in the Bob Marshal Wilderness packing for an outfitter from the 22 of July through yesterday. We started up at the Middle Fork of the Teton River and made a big circle on this side of the divide down to Benchmark, Southwest of Augusta. About the third day in, the smoke got real bad and we turned on the radio and started hearing about all these fires. They were on stage 1 back there, and we couldn' t have open fires so we had to use a wood stove. Our next trip will be during stage 2 probably, it' s on the 2nd of August, and all we can use then is propane stoves! I was leading 2 colts and 2 mules behind my boss, Rocky, who is the outfitter. He had 12 mules and man I couldn' t see my hands through the dust! We need the rain so bad it is scary. On our last layover day, our water source was a spring-problem was that the spring, which was once a good sized stream, had turned into a trickle, if that. The area I archery hunt for elk in the breaks this year is on fire, and I can only pray that nothing else catches.