Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? On Colorado License.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? On Colorado License.

I posted this under the west regional forum, but I believe more use the Big Game for info. So I'll throw it here as well.
My situation is: Been to Colorado 3x's. All OTC Archery. Last yr I tried to draw a muzzle tag w/3pts and was denied. My hunting partner also had 3pts and he was successful. We always hunt together, so this has put us in a bind.
Were going to try a new area we just got access too, and decided to try our hand at rifle. This area was a 100% draw for 1st rifle in 2010. So I can't see wasting my 4pts on that tag. Plus we want to hunt more than 5 days. So were doing OTC bull for 2nd rifle. The 2nd rifle is also draw only for cow tags in this area. My partner wants to rebuild his Pref. Pts. So would he be wise to apply 1st choice for a Pref. Pt., do 2nd choice for the cow tag, and later just purchase the OTC Bull. I did check the draw results and a handfull of cow tags were issued for 2nd draw. Not many, but a few. Were more meat hunters than trophy hunters. So would really like a cow tag. I would likely apply the same way.
I'm just trying to learn the tricks of Colorado Licenses, as they're so confusing compared to NY.
I'd appreciate any help or ideas.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Dominant Buck

When we put in for a draw we do it as a group so either you all draw or nobody does that way the group wouldn't have a split. What we now do is put in for draw cow tags second season and if no draw go out for OTC bull. Builds the PP's and eventually we will all get cow tags. This year 2 of us will probably draw muley tags since we have 4 or 5 points. The other two drew theirs last year while 2 of us kept our points and didn't apply. They had great success. While they hunted muleys the other two of us hunted OTC elk. This year it will be the other way around.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what on read on group draws, its based by the member with the least amount of pts in group whether draw or not. This area was 100% draw for cow tags 2nd season last yr.. So its likely we would draw as a group, and I'd still loose my 4pts. If I understand it right.
We goofed last yr when we didn't do a group draw for muzzleloader. But everyone told us 3pts would get us that tag, so never worried about it. Unfortunately Colorado changed how the muzzle quota's worked, and I don't believe everyone figured how few would be drawn.
So our problem is I would draw on whichever apply for in this area being 100% draw last yr.. So I'd be wasting my 4pts. when could likely still draw w/o any pts.. While my partner needs to rebuild his pts.. I prefer to save my pts for future muzzle tag. I like being out there during the rut, and hearing those bugles!!!

Last edited by BuckAlley; 03-06-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, should've applied last year as a group. Now you'll always be drawing seperate, and it sounds like you guys want to hunt together, no matter what. SO now, might as well waste your points and start from scratch together because no matter what, you're always going to have more points than your freind.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

The tags that are alloted have to do with the ratio of the quota filled by residents then with a percentage left for non res. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of predicting whether someone will draw or not based on having a couple of points. The reason why I didn't put in for a muley tag was my hunting partner wanted to take his daughter out for a muley and she had 3 points and he and I had 4. I didn't want to take the chance that he and I would draw and she wouldn't so I only hunted elk along with another guy that wasn't part of our points issue. Long road trip for us easterners.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I see it, here are a couple of options:

1) You apply seperately and you draw a muzzleloaging tag and your partner applies for a preference point only and hunts at the same time, but with an OTC archery tag (he can bow hunt during the muzzy season)

And I hear what you are saying about wanting to hunt more than 5 days, but I can assure you, your odds would be better of getting an elk in those 5 days than the longer 2nd season for several reasons: NO deer hunters in the woods and limited elk tags (no OTC tags). And bulls are generally still bugling. And if you want more time in the woods, just go up a couple of days early to relax and scout.

Here are a couple of other options to consider:

2) Both apply for a point only for your first choice, and apply as a group and both put the first elk rifle season as your second choice. Since that season was 100%, you might get lucky and both get drawn for the first rifle. As long as you apply for the same unit and season, I am 99% sure you can still apply as a group even as a second choice, but I am not positive, so check with the DOW first.

3) Apply seperately for a point as your first choice and a 2nd season cow tag as your second choice. One or both might get picked for a cow and the other could pick up a OTC tag

In both option 2 and 3, you both will get another preference point for this year

Last edited by txhunter58; 03-06-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

every state is different in regards to group points.

Some states round, some don't.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I just got together with my partner today, and think we figured out what were going to do. He learned this new place were going we actually have access to 2 different units. 1 unit has a higher success, and had leftover tags for cow elk in 2nd season. So were both putting in for a Pref. Pt. as 1st choice, and the Cow draw for our 2nd choice in 1 area. Then we will buy OTC Bull tags for the other area, so we have it all covered.
This is a private land deal, and it doesn't see alot of pressure like some Federal lands we've hunted before. So were not overally concerned about the 1st to 2nd rifle seasons. Plus this way we could possibly have both Bull & cow tags.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure that the cow tags are considered "additional" tags (B list tag). They removed that status from many areas this year. The only way you can have two elk tags is if the cow tag is considered additional (B list).
Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where do I find a list of B-tags? Colorado sure loves to make things confusing now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.