Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? On Colorado License.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Just sold some 500 Lb calves for nearly $700! Have you bought steak lately! Hunting is actually starting to save me money! And it is only going to get worse. As corn moves back to methanol feed prices will keep climbing. And it is $354 for a cow tag.
I think residents can hunt for food and save money, non-residents....good luck.

How much meat are you going to get from a cow elk, maybe 150lbs?

If all I wanted was to hunt/meat, paying $300 for my main tag/cow is barely acceptable IMO, but if I'm going bull elk hunting, and I can toss on a 2nd tag for $350 at a chance that I may get a shot at a cow...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you consider the price per pound it's a deal, not to mention delicious!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

well give me some #'s....

150lbs for a cow elk? sound like alot, I've heard you get 150 from a big bull elk...so is 125 or 100lbs more accurate for a cow elk of edible meat?

so $350/ 100lbs, add to that price for butchering, how much is that?

plus you have to find an elk and kill it.

less you're a resident I see no deal on meat...
Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't pay $300 for a left over.

More for me. I love cows. Taste much better than those smelly bulls.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I pay the going rate for non res bull and or cow tags with never a guarantee of even seeing one. That is hunting and buying the tags allows me to hunt. I really don't care what it cost and I would never try to justify the cost as a per pound issue. I have come home from Colorado with an empty cooler as well as a full one and both scenarios were a great time. Being there and in the game is what drives me to make the trip.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I pay the going rate for non res bull and or cow tags with never a guarantee of even seeing one. That is hunting and buying the tags allows me to hunt. I really don't care what it cost and I would never try to justify the cost as a per pound issue. I have come home from Colorado with an empty cooler as well as a full one and both scenarios were a great time. Being there and in the game is what drives me to make the trip.
You're at such a disadvantage unless you use an outfitter. I work at it all year scouting, getting in shape at altitude etc. I've never gone out of state to hunt for just that reason. I don't need a GPS, maps, or even a compass to hunt. I know the unit I hunt like my back yard.

I give you guys a lot of credit that can come here from out of state and get an elk.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You're at such a disadvantage unless you use an outfitter.
C.I. and I hunt DIY together in Colorado. We are not at a disadvantage considering where we hunt. We have gone to the same area for 5 years now and know it pretty well. There hasn't been a year in which we haven't seen elk or deer. They are still free ranging wild animals so a tag isn't always filled but the chase of part of the fun.

Regarding size, we have taken 4 cows which seem to yield around 160lbs of meat each. The largest bull I have taken was 240lbs of meat. It all depends on how well you take care of the meat and how well you bone out the animal. We have been butchering them ourselves, so there is no cost for butchering other than paper, tape, and freezer bags. The local butcher near where we hunt charges .70 cents per pound hanging quarter to process.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
C.I. and I hunt DIY together in Colorado. We are not at a disadvantage considering where we hunt. We have gone to the same area for 5 years now and know it pretty well. There hasn't been a year in which we haven't seen elk or deer. They are still free ranging wild animals so a tag isn't always filled but the chase of part of the fun.

Regarding size, we have taken 4 cows which seem to yield around 160lbs of meat each. The largest bull I have taken was 240lbs of meat. It all depends on how well you take care of the meat and how well you bone out the animal. We have been butchering them ourselves, so there is no cost for butchering other than paper, tape, and freezer bags. The local butcher near where we hunt charges .70 cents per pound hanging quarter to process.
How did you do the first year?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

DIY. We took a 5x5 and 2 cows that first year.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way better than what most guys do coming here for the first time.

You should be killing the whole herd by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.