Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements? >

Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?

I was talking to my Dad recently about following through on our dream to book an elk hunt.
I know someone locally who went on an elk hunt a few years ago and was made to carry a rifle of .30 caliber or greater. He has a .270 Win. that he uses for everything, and fully intended to on his elk hunt. He wound up buying a .300 WSM just for that hunt.
Has anyone run across outfitters that have a " nothing smaller than this caliber" rule for their clients?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I was talking to my Dad recently about following through on our dream to book an elk hunt.
I know someone locally who went on an elk hunt a few years ago and was made to carry a rifle of .30 caliber or greater. He has a .270 Win. that he uses for everything, and fully intended to on his elk hunt. He wound up buying a .300 WSM just for that hunt.
Has anyone run across outfitters that have a " nothing smaller than this caliber" rule for their clients?
I'm an outfitter here in Montana and our state has no min caliber requirements, however, if you say you are bringing a .22 I wouldn't let you hunt with us. Every outfitter knows his area and the average range most bulls are shot at. I don't know of any outfitter that is going to be happy about anything less than a .270. At the end of the day a dead shot with a lighter caliber and self disciple will have more success than a knuckle head with a .338 rum. Personally, I am a big fan of heavier calibers and magnums, and I hold to the old theory of shoot as much gun as you can handle accurately. Usually, most of our hunters ask me what I think they should bring, and I tell them the weapon they are most comfortable with. 99.99% of all hunters never get involved in praticing stess shooting, rather on a bench. Some of our Army guys have and do practice stress shooting. A guy who routinely practices off the bench in Wisconsin at 100 yards, may have some difficulty with shot placement at 300 yards having just humped up a steep slope in 10 degree weather. Shot placement becomes critical.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by schoolcraft

That makes no sense on the outfitters part, I would take that to mean I could show up with a .32 special, 30-30 or some such, but not a 270 or a .25-06 which have killed many a elk...now don't anyone get yer panties all in a bunch I did not put down the .32 or the 30-30 both of those rounds have killed untold numbers of deer,elk and bear of all sizes, both of theses rounds are out and out deadly to game in the brush and close in...I was just trying to point out how silly the restriction sounded!!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

In Colorado the minimum is .243/6mm or larger. Bring whatever you can shoot the best. I've seen a lot of guys can't shoot the big magnums and would of been better off bringing their deer rifle.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I should have been more specific in my original post. While the outfitter did say ".30 caliber minimum", the understanding was .308/.30-06 and up. No .30-30's or such.
I know each state has their legal minimum calibers, but having never been on a guided hunt I didn't know if I should expect to hear the same as I begin to call around. We won't be able to book the hunt for 2-3 years, so I have time to buy something specific for elk or whatever else might be available.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

If an outfitter wanted to dictate to me what cartridge I were allowed to bring on a hunt I would take my business elsewhere.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Like I said it still makes NO sense.....the 270 surpasses the 308 at 500 yds and is more than equal to the 30.06 with a 150 gr bullet all of winchester manufature.......I have to agree with bigbulls, this outfitter is suckin wind up his butt and I would look else where........I can see a minimum cal for dangerous game but not elk!!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Thier are no minimums caliber here in ontario but thier are mins when you get into shotguns for big game. Shot placement is the most important in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
Like I said it still makes NO sense.....the 270 surpasses the 308 at 500 yds and is more than equal to the 30.06 with a 150 gr bullet all of winchester manufature.......I have to agree with bigbulls, this outfitter is suckin wind up his butt and I would look else where........I can see a minimum cal for dangerous game but not elk!!
First, I dont agree with an outfitter mandating a minimum caliber for elk, but it is his/her business and they can do as they see fit. The consumer on the other hand can do the same thing.

Second, how many elk are shot at or beyond 500 yards every year? Not enough to warrant your 270 to 308 comparison. Although I do agree that a 270 is adequate for killing elk.

Third, and lastly, while the 308 is similar to the 30-06 it is not "more than equal" in any area to it.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
If an outfitter wanted to dictate to me what cartridge I were allowed to bring on a hunt I would take my business elsewhere.
Ditto on that.......But I am kind of a rebel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.