HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
finnbear
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
I was talking to my Dad recently about following through on our dream to book an elk hunt.
I know someone locally who went on an elk hunt a few years ago and was made to carry a rifle of .30 caliber or greater. He has a .270 Win. that he uses for everything, and fully intended to on his elk hunt. He wound up buying a .300 WSM just for that hunt.
Has anyone run across outfitters that have a " nothing smaller than this caliber" rule for their clients?

That makes no sense on the outfitters part, I would take that to mean I could show up with a .32 special, 30-30 or some such, but not a 270 or a .25-06 which have killed many a elk...now don't anyone get yer panties all in a bunch I did not put down the .32 or the 30-30 both of those rounds have killed untold numbers of deer,elk and bear of all sizes, both of theses rounds are out and out deadly to game in the brush and close in...I was just trying to point out how silly the restriction sounded!!