Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

PA-08 Upland 12

Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes he did. Anyone who posts on a forum is.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
You guys are the ones that need to grow up! He made the shot he put his time in at the range and he did his homework. Whatever he did he obviously did it well. You guys are full of BS.
I respectfully dissagree. He just got really really lucky, and you know it as well as we do. Factor in his age, 390 yards, steep angle, wind, possible movement of the head, etc........... No amount of range time would convince me he could make that shot 9 out of 10 times.

And hopefully, he knows it too on some level. The question that brings to mind now is if he had blown off its jaw without killing it, would he have lost any sleep over it.

Yep, he made the shot, this time. Congrats!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

well I'll take that 400 yard shot, I'm not participating in the flame, not because I don't think he did it properly, but the same guys flaming him are the guys who flamed me over a 1350 yard shot on a deer, folks who don't understand refuse to listen and learn. yes I think it was either a poor choice for a shot, an exaggeration. however the young man killed an elk and is proud of it, wouldn't you be, I could pick his posts to pieces and show the why's and such of why it couldn't happen that way but why? it worked out, cut the boy some slack. I've took head shots at 600+ yards, use good equipment, use it right and its capable of things you can't believe.RR
You taking a 400 yard head shot and this kid taking a 400 yard head shot after "The night before the hunt I sighted my gun in so that it could hit a quarter at 100 yds." are two completely different arguments and so far apart from each other they're in different time zones.

You spend countless hours practicing, have thousands or dollars sunk into specialized equipment, and know your equipment inside and out. This kid relies on Cabelas to see if an elk call works or not and sights in his gun the night before he takes a 400 yard head shot.

You guys are the ones that need to grow up! He made the shot he put his time in at the range and he did his homework. Whatever he did he obviously did it well. You guys are full of BS.
He didn't put any time at the range. He sighted his gun in the night before so he could "hit quarter at 100 yards".
Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well I'll take that 400 yard shot, I'm not participating in the flame, not because I don't think he did it properly, but the same guys flaming him are the guys who flamed me over a 1350 yard shot on a deer, folks who don't understand refuse to listen and learn. yes I think it was either a poor choice for a shot, an exaggeration. however the young man killed an elk and is proud of it, wouldn't you be, I could pick his posts to pieces and show the why's and such of why it couldn't happen that way but why? it worked out, cut the boy some slack. I've took head shots at 600+ yards, use good equipment, use it right and its capable of things you can't believe.RR
Ridgerunner, you of all people should not condone his actions. You know his story is BS. You know what kind of practice and equipment it takes to make a shot like that with any consistancy. Young hunters that have read your post and look up to you, because of your skills, will think it is alright to attempt what this yahoo is claiming he did. If anything you should chastise his actions and explain to him how he should prepare before he tries anything like that again. You have long range capabilities and are a good shooter. I know, I won't change your mind about head shots at 600 yards. I also know, you would never advise anyone to try 600 yard (or even 400 yard) head shots after a week of practicing at 100 yards.

What really bothers me is, how many elk this kid has already wounded. We already know he doesn't tell the truth in his stories.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

hey thanks for making us younger hunters look like idiots nice job
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds a lil fishy....
and ridge, i dont think this guy has spent a fraction of the time practicing that you have...hence the ..shooting quarters at 100 yards...aimed 4 inches high, where it was 2 inches the 1st time i read it...now its 4, either way, i think he is way off, but i aint digging fer proof...im thinkin maybe, just maybe he got it at about 100 yards, if someone else didnt do it.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol best thing you did was change the post...i am glad you changed it from toddlers, to what ever it is now.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
"I shot her in the lower jaw all her teeth were blown out including the Ivories so that was a bummer, But I will always remember my first head shot! Ha ha"

It is time to let this subject go away. The original post was not wise, and those few rushing to defend it are missing the point.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lonewolf1990
hey thanks for making us younger hunters look like idiots nice job
Don't blame yourself for his actions and nobody here thinks all you young hunters are idiots.We all where young hunters at one time.I totally respect you young hunters for getting out and carrying on a tradition that we have enjoyed for centuries, especially in this day and age where youths would rather be at home playing video games.This is a dying sport generally speaking, with the cost only going up hunters aren't going out, at least this is happening where I live anyway.It's cheeper to buy a Cow and guaranteed meat than gambling and maybe getting nothing at all.Genises should have thought this through, he wants to be a guide, hunters looking for, guides,want guides with maturity and honesty.The only person it hurt was himself, in the long run, and the only person that should be embarrassed is himself.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-21-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
"I shot her in the lower jaw all her teeth were blown out including the Ivories so that was a bummer, But I will always remember my first head shot! Ha ha"

It is time to let this subject go away. The original post was not wise, and those few rushing to defend it are missing the point.
Sorry if I was being rude or unwise but I think that if your friend shot an elk than you congratulate him and if a bunch of guys are blasting him than you stick up for him. Right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.