Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

PA-08 Upland 12

Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Back in the day a head shot was the norm. I own a book called Bullets, Blood and Backstraps by M.L. Simmons, they all took head shots as the norm, a norm that is followed still by many many people. A head shot is the fastest possible way to down any game animal, and affords the fastest cleanest kill, with mitigated meat spoilage, and no possible blood tracking. That is reality like it or not. Additionally, while the margin of error is slim, the chances of a complete miss are much better than a boiler room shot, offering a kill or complete miss the vast majority of the time.

Now, as an outfitter I do not recommend head shots, because most people are not good enough shots to effectively and consistantly execute said shot, myself included. However, I know folks who do and they never have to track an animal, I hold no judgement against them. All the post on this thread are highly critical and many flat out derrogatory, I can't help but wonder how many of these posters have never taken a marginal shot? Glass houses and all that.

Gen, I make this post not in defense of your actions, rather, to shed light on a subject from a different point of view. First, at 17 I doubt you have aquired the skills necessary to effectively and routinely make a 400 yard head shot. That doubt is completely removed with the 4" high at 400 yards w/ a .270 claim. Do not get on these boards and boast about outright and obvious fabrications. Also, while I am at it, if you claim to be a guide you should exihibit a little more descretion at the type and nature of post you make. If you were one of my guides, I would fire you for the damage you would have caused my outfit. Delete it.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on your elk. We all learn by experience and it takes humility to sometimes to listen others when they are right and we are wrong. You are excited about your elk and should be, but listen to these guys and consider whether you should take head shots in the future. The chest is a good lethal target and a whole lot bigger than the head.

There seems to be a general self righteous taint to some people's responses. I'm sure no one else has ever exaggerated the details of a hunt or told a fishing story. Regardless, honesty makes for a good "applies to everything" policy. I made a lot more mistakes as a teen than many and learned a lot of my ethics because others were willing teach me. I listened and learned because I sensed a genuine investment, not because they were taking the role of judge and executioner.

Last edited by wyomingtrapper; 11-18-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Probably a Yewt!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, Genesis, but the only part of your post I can agree with is the part where you said you practiced at the shooting range. That is great, although I recommend spending more than an evening doin it.

By the way, in addition to what others have posted, getting "set up" should mean you are getting to an area that's closer than 400 yards. Next time please stalk a bit more before you set up.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

Wink

I spent a whole week at the shooting range and I could consistently hit a quarter at 100 yds. It was a 390 yd shot downhill (I had a rangefinder) since it was downhill I aimed 4 inches above her instead of ten. How his a headshot unethical???? A head shot is either a hit or a miss. My elk didint suffer one bit, she died instantly! I felt very comfortable with the shot and i took my time on it and I hit right where I aimed. I have no regrets and I am bummed you guys feel the way you do. Whatever I did obviously worked and I assure you it wasint luck, I put alot of time and money in at the range. So you guys continue on with the beatings and lectures and I will stand back and observe (laugh), Like I said earlier I have no regrets and I feel like it was a completley ethical shot.

Lucky Dogs, you seriously think that elk is a calf???? And you think I give hunters a bad name?!?!? At least i know the diffrence between a cow and a calf! That elk is one of the biggest elk I have killed, Ha ha Wow!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Typical Buck

Gen, congrats on your elk but why don't you go back reread your first post. and then compare to your last one.

That is a cow, no doubt. But you shouldn't be surprised by the replies I am not a headshot fan and I will leave it at that.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know guys. Ya'll sound pretty harsh. So what he made a 400yd head shot. So what he's 17. I grew up around of guys that called their shots and made shots I've yet to duplicate. But I watched it happen and it created a fire of competition in me when it came to shooting. Genisis if you can shoot well and have that much confidence in your shooting capability GET IT BOY. Range and drop don't match so well but I didn't see your zero so how would I know.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your elk may be bigger than it looks in the picture but it looks small to me. Big elk or small elk, it doesn't matter. The animal deserves more respect than you give it. Are you so stupid that you think all of theses guys are wrong?? It one thing to be young but willing to learn. It's another thing to be just dumber than a box of rocks and think you know it all.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 11-19-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

A head shot is either a hit or a miss.
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
I spent a whole week at the shooting range and I could consistently hit a quarter at 100 yds. It was a 390 yd shot downhill (I had a rangefinder) since it was downhill I aimed 4 inches above her instead of ten. How his a headshot unethical???? A head shot is either a hit or a miss. My elk didint suffer one bit, she died instantly! I felt very comfortable with the shot and i took my time on it and I hit right where I aimed. I have no regrets and I am bummed you guys feel the way you do. Whatever I did obviously worked and I assure you it wasint luck, I put alot of time and money in at the range. So you guys continue on with the beatings and lectures and I will stand back and observe (laugh), Like I said earlier I have no regrets and I feel like it was a completley ethical shot.

Lucky Dogs, you seriously think that elk is a calf???? And you think I give hunters a bad name?!?!? At least i know the diffrence between a cow and a calf! That elk is one of the biggest elk I have killed, Ha ha Wow!
What degree downhill? Where was your zero? What velocity? B.C.? Temp? Altitude?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.