Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Cub Killers

Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a pic by trail cam of a sow with 2 cubs. These so called cubs will be on thier own by fall. As mom would have been bred again by then. A first year cub is much smaller than these 2 would have been. These will be a year and a half old and can wiegh from 80lbs. upwards around the to 120 lbs mark. We call those cubs yearlings and not cubs as they will soon be on thier own.

Whether or not someone wants to shoot one when they see it all alone doesn't really matter to me. I simply do not hunt them by my choice not to do so. But none the less why keep this going as I am sure the ones against this and all hunting will find some sort of info to use against us all.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 07-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
1- Hunting season is in late November. Most years, females are denned up already.
2 - Hunting season is in late November so "cubs" aren't exactly nursing newborns.
3 - Like said before, it is very hard to judge the size of a bear in the woods.

The size of ALL bears is over-estimated.

The bear success rate in PA is about 3%. Most guys hunt a lifetime and never see a bear in the woods. When they see a bear moving through the woods, they look big to most guys. It's not like there's a herd of bears and these guys shoot the smallest one.

We don't hunt spring bears over bait so there's no looking over a bear and judging size. We're putting miles on our boots in the big woods, swamps, laurels and overgrown clearcuts. When we actually ever see a bear, we need to make a snap judgement. Sometimes the bear is bigger than we first thought. So what? It's still a PA bear and quite an achievement.
I wouldn't call killing a cub an achievement, more like an embarrassment. All your points are valid. All I'm saying is be responsible. I have hunted bear for 6 years now. My 2nd year I saw one. It was to far away and presented a bad shot. There was one point where I might have been able to get a shot. I wasn't sure so I let it walk. Its called being responsible
Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

These so called cubs will be on thier own by fall. As mom would have been bred again by then.
Our season doesn't start until Thanksgiving week, so those bears would be on their own.

wouldn't call killing a cub an achievement, more like an embarrassment.
I'm sure a lot of guys who shoot a small bear thought it was going to be bigger and are not thumping their chests like they shot a grizzly. When they slip the bear into their vest pocket, I'm sure they feel the effects of ground shrinkage.

You say you see these bears at the check station. That's becuase they have to check them. They're not there to show them off.

Still, your odds of shooting any bear are pretty slim so it's still a feat that few pull off.

My 2nd year I saw one.
Quick!!! How big was it? How much did it weigh? How old was it?

I'll bet it was smaller than you thought it was.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

See that's just the thing. I didn't know how big it was and didn't know if it had cubs with it. So I let it walk. My camp is pretty much in the middle of bear central PA. I have a very good feel of what ill shoot, and I wont shoot anything unless I feel it at least 200 lbs. Give or take a few
Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

and I wont shoot anything unless I feel it at least 200 lbs. Give or take a few
Don't be disappointed when they tell you the real weight at the check station
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PA Big Game Hunter
See that's just the thing. I didn't know how big it was and didn't know if it had cubs with it. So I let it walk. My camp is pretty much in the middle of bear central PA. I have a very good feel of what ill shoot, and I wont shoot anything unless I feel it at least 200 lbs. Give or take a few
I think it's a very good thing to have your own personal ethics and I applaud you for it. We have to be careful though chastising other hunters in public that are obeying the law. There are enough anti's out there doing that already.

Every hunter has a lifetime of experiences and personal circumstances that determine what type of hunter they are. I have no problems with any of them as long as they are obeying the law, being honest and being courteous while in the field.

Some have a nack for field judging and other hunting skills but I think it's a bit unfair to expect everyone to follow our own code book if they aren't breaking the law. If a law is not right in your eyes then I suggest you write your lawmakers to appeal for a change.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 07-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Love it!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Spike

Okay let me re-say everything I have said. I understand some people can't judge the size of a bear in the field because of adrenaline, excitedness, or what ever you wanna call it. I don't condone it, but I understand it. 2 years ago I was at a check in station and a guy shot a cub. It only weighed like 24 lbs. The guy bragged like he was the best hunter in world. His bear weighed 24 lbs. My German Shepherd weighs 76 lbs. No one else shot a bear. Not a mother killed and then the cubs. Not a bear running. He just shot a 24 lbs cub. Is that right? If you kill a cub on accident, I can live with it. I have killed button bucks on accident thinking they were does (something else I'm against). But to do what he did really urked me.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Spike

I like how you keep taking shots at me when in reality I probably have seen more black bears then you.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like how you keep taking shots at me when in reality I probably have seen more black bears then you.
Who's taking shots at who?

You start out the thread bashing guys who shoot small bears. I'm telling why a lot of guys shoot small bears. Because they think they're bigger than they are.

Then you tell me you're holding out for the 200lb bear. Well, a lot of guys who shot small bears thought the same thing until they actually weigh the bear.

It only weighed like 24 lbs. The guy bragged like he was the best hunter in world.
I agree. This is wrong. But, I would say this is the exception and not the rule. But, the guy probably was excited that he actually got a bear. I don't know the guy so I couldn't make the judgement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.