HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear Cub Killers
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
PA Big Game Hunter
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
1- Hunting season is in late November. Most years, females are denned up already.
2 - Hunting season is in late November so "cubs" aren't exactly nursing newborns.
3 - Like said before, it is very hard to judge the size of a bear in the woods.

The size of ALL bears is over-estimated.

The bear success rate in PA is about 3%. Most guys hunt a lifetime and never see a bear in the woods. When they see a bear moving through the woods, they look big to most guys. It's not like there's a herd of bears and these guys shoot the smallest one.

We don't hunt spring bears over bait so there's no looking over a bear and judging size. We're putting miles on our boots in the big woods, swamps, laurels and overgrown clearcuts. When we actually ever see a bear, we need to make a snap judgement. Sometimes the bear is bigger than we first thought. So what? It's still a PA bear and quite an achievement.
I wouldn't call killing a cub an achievement, more like an embarrassment. All your points are valid. All I'm saying is be responsible. I have hunted bear for 6 years now. My 2nd year I saw one. It was to far away and presented a bad shot. There was one point where I might have been able to get a shot. I wasn't sure so I let it walk. Its called being responsible