Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado preference points >

Colorado preference points

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Colorado preference points

Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Colorado preference points

Hey guys...I was just wondering if anybody knew how much preference points cost and where i can purchase them for Colorado? Any help will be appreciated! I figured i'd start drawing preference points so when im older i can go elk hunting somewhere awesome!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, this seasons draw has come and gone, BUT if you put in from year to year the only cost is something like $3 fee, BUT if you don't apply every year, it'll cost you $25 just for a prference point. That could change next year, who knows!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, you missed it for this year. Mark your calender for about March of next year. Applications for tags and preference points is open from about then to about April 1st. You have to apply just like you are applying for a tag, but just mark "preference point" on the application.

The good news is that they only cost $25 per species. However, the bad news is that you will have to send them the full amount of the cheapest tag of that species for them to hold for several months, then they refund all but $25.

For example, to apply for an elk preference point, you have to send them $355.25 I believe. After the drawing (usually mid June) you will receive a refund check for all but the $25
Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

and you have to front the entire tag fee just to build a pref.point!

I think elk and deer are both around $300, of which you get that back, but still you're out $500 or $600 just to build points, of which they'll keep that $25 each etc...

WY has a pref pts period later in the year for just pts, I'd certainly build pts for elk, deer, antelope WY!

Plenty of other great states to build pts in as well, esp the longer draw states, arizona etc...
Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Which state is the best state for elk? Someone told me that New Mexico is really good.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

NM is a great state for elk, but there is no preference point system.

Montana is pretty good, but again, no preference point system, you have to apply for a tag, and only get a point if you don't draw.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Cool

Originally Posted by salukipv1
and you have to front the entire tag fee just to build a pref.point!

I think elk and deer are both around $300, of which you get that back, but still you're out $500 or $600 just to build points, of which they'll keep that $25 each etc...

WY has a pref pts period later in the year for just pts, I'd certainly build pts for elk, deer, antelope WY!

Plenty of other great states to build pts in as well, esp the longer draw states, arizona etc...
Yes you have to pay the full tag fee, but you will get refunded if you dont draw the tag. Also, the only charge you $25 if you screw up the apllication process for the unit you are putting in for. Just a processing fee and search and recscue, like $3
Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
NM is a great state for elk, but there is no preference point system.

Montana is pretty good, but again, no preference point system, you have to apply for a tag, and only get a point if you don't draw.
And what does that one point mean if i dont draw for NM? Does it give me a better chance to draw the following year?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

NM has no preference point system. So you could draw a tag every year or it could take you forever to draw. It's the luck of the draw.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

How old/young are you? When are these hunts suppose to take place? If in 5+ years, either way you should build pts everywhere you can.

Essentially CO seems to be an opportunity hunt, ie tons of tags, not many monsters for the amount of elk that are hunted/taken, vs. just about every other state tends to have more trophy quality.

Buy a point in WY this year, it's $50 for just an elk point.

Next year, if you can afford to apply in AZ, UT, NV, MT, CO do those as well.

Every state is different, some states don't have pts systems or only issue you a pt if you don't draw, in those cases you can try to play the odds and apply for the toughest area/unit in order to gain a point vs. drawing a tag.

For $100/yr you may consider subscribing to "The Huntin Fool" magazine, it'll explain all of this info to you in depth, update you on all the new stuff, changes etc. Even if just for a year, it'll teach you a lot on how the drawing game is played...

States are often changing their rules/regs etc..., so just because NM or ID doesn't have a pref.pt system this year, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

I think the only state left that you can buy a point for is WY, you may even have to wait til their pts only application period opens, get the pt for $50, its well worth it, 1 pt can guarantee a non-res a general elk tag I'm quite certain, limited areas require more usually especially the best units/seasons. WY has great elk hunting as well so you can't go wrong for $50. While you're at it consider building pts for mule deer, antelope, those are $40, and $30 respectively. Moose is $75, Sheep is $100, but I'd advise against building pts for sheep in WY, odds are way too steep, not worth the $100 IMO, especially with some hunters probably having 15pts or more by now who are all ahead of you. Aside from sheep, its worth building pts for all the other species IMO.

Good luck!