Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
2010 MN moose season starts today >

2010 MN moose season starts today

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2010 MN moose season starts today

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2010 MN moose season starts today

found out I got drawn for my once in a life time MN moose license. The area I am going is deep into the Boundry waters wilderness area. We will be shuttled to the end of the no motor zone by a local fishing guide then we paddle 8 miles to get into out hunting zone. I will be going up there hopefully 2 times this summer camping it is a 5 hour drive then basically a hold day to get into the hunting zone so not real condusive to weekend trips. Ill be taking lots of pics and updating as regular as possible.
Any advice on moose hunting is aprreciated I have gone twice before but not claiming to be an expert. I am considering buying a montana moose decoy i have the angus cow decoy and love it for antelope anybody use the moose one?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

From the hunting shows I have seen, they take a boat paddle, and rake it on small trees.
While making the moose sound.
I seen Jim Shocky, use a decoy, that looks like a big poster.
And the moose get within 10 yards of him.

Good Luck.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck. I'm more of a stand hunter/spot and stalk guy than I am a caller. So I'll leave the decoy questions to someone else. I'm glad to hear Minnesota still has a moose season as last I heard the population numbers were rather bleak.

Last edited by moosemike; 06-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by moosemike
Good luck. I'm more of a stand hunter/spot and stalk guy than I am a caller. So I'll leave the decoy questions to someone else. I'm glad to hear Minnesota still has a moose season as last I heard the population numbers were rather bleak.
The numbers are not good they are down again this year accirding to the aireal survey. I was considering not putting in and hoping the numbers come back up but they may never come back they are already gone in the NW part of the state and does not look good for the NE either. Here is hoping m once in a lifetime lic works out.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

That Is awesome!! Best of luck bud!!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your drawing of a moose permit.. I drew a tag up here last year.. What I have found out is what type of call makes a difference to what part of the season you are hunting.. I..E. Meaning that here in mid Sept. the bulls are fighting each other over teritory and will come out to a bull call or even a coffee can. Sometimes they will answer and only come part way out. That is when a small paddle or a stick can be used to draw them the rest of the way out. Just do not hit the bushes for to long of a period.. During our October hunt a cow call will work best. This is because the moose are traveling with cows then and you need to have the bull think there is a cow out there that wants to breed. This is about the only way to move him out away from the cow/cows he is with. So alot of folks here do not get to fill thier tags during our October hunting season. I can not say very much about the decoy as I have never saw any being used.. Good Luck to you..
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

How many days is MN's moose season?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by moosemike
How many days is MN's moose season?
Oct 2-17 we willl head out two days prior to opener and wont come back until its over or until we connect on one
Old 06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulation, and good luck with the moose hunt. It sounds like you are preparing for a long and hard hunt. I hope you get a big one and post his pics here!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Bring plenty of strong friends. Moose hunting is fun until you have one down on the ground.

Get a copy of the DVD "Love, Thunder, and Bull 2" if you want to learn how to call moose.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.