HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado preference points
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

How old/young are you? When are these hunts suppose to take place? If in 5+ years, either way you should build pts everywhere you can.

Essentially CO seems to be an opportunity hunt, ie tons of tags, not many monsters for the amount of elk that are hunted/taken, vs. just about every other state tends to have more trophy quality.

Buy a point in WY this year, it's $50 for just an elk point.

Next year, if you can afford to apply in AZ, UT, NV, MT, CO do those as well.

Every state is different, some states don't have pts systems or only issue you a pt if you don't draw, in those cases you can try to play the odds and apply for the toughest area/unit in order to gain a point vs. drawing a tag.

For $100/yr you may consider subscribing to "The Huntin Fool" magazine, it'll explain all of this info to you in depth, update you on all the new stuff, changes etc. Even if just for a year, it'll teach you a lot on how the drawing game is played...

States are often changing their rules/regs etc..., so just because NM or ID doesn't have a pref.pt system this year, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

I think the only state left that you can buy a point for is WY, you may even have to wait til their pts only application period opens, get the pt for $50, its well worth it, 1 pt can guarantee a non-res a general elk tag I'm quite certain, limited areas require more usually especially the best units/seasons. WY has great elk hunting as well so you can't go wrong for $50. While you're at it consider building pts for mule deer, antelope, those are $40, and $30 respectively. Moose is $75, Sheep is $100, but I'd advise against building pts for sheep in WY, odds are way too steep, not worth the $100 IMO, especially with some hunters probably having 15pts or more by now who are all ahead of you. Aside from sheep, its worth building pts for all the other species IMO.

Good luck!