Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 06-13-2003, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk teeth are not made up of ivory, are they?

big a$$ dinasour wapiti. They are where tusks are on an elephant
MaYbe not quit that far back?(millions of yrs?) last ice age was 10,000-15,000 yrs ago.& another befor that & so on
it be nice to have hairy elephants again in n, america .[:-]& bigin wapati!

I heard dolphins had trunks like elephants where there blowholes are now?
Not that that has anything to do with anything else lol

greenhorns would make a nice knife handle etc Where do you find these?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

By god, finally some useful infermashun ' round here! Trunks where the blow holes are? How do you reckin' they could swim totin' thet big snoze growin' out the back of their haid? I' m thinkin' sharks woulda bit them trunks off pretty quick, the dolfins were probably thankful, since they could swim better ' thout the nose, allowin' them to escape. I heard sharks were huge back in them days. Probly from eatin' highly nutritous dolfin noses.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:27 AM

BeaverJack - They are not ivory like elephant ivory.

I bet you still believe Gore won the last election ?
Old 06-13-2003, 07:24 AM

Okay, maybe technically (under the microscope and with chemical analysis) an elk' s " ivories" are not ivory, BUT if you' ve actually shot an elk, cut them out, touched them, felt them, studied them, scratched or shaped them, and made something out of them, then you know:

They are MORE like ivory than they are like teeth! They do NOT feel like dentin and enamal. That' s why they call them ivories. I haven' t read any scientific literature on this but like Beaver implied I' d bet it is something left over from the process of evolution.

It' s just one more thing that makes elk special. [8D][8D]

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 06-13-2003, 08:24 AM
jjt

I have to agree with elkampmaster they may not be ivory under a microscope but they dont feel a bit like teeth or bone when your working with them

I have read they are not ivory

but for anybody that happens to take an elk they are as prized as the antlers and can be made into some very fine jewelery
Old 06-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Zeal,
Now thet you mention it, I ain' t a Gore fan, but neither do I believe that the Electoral College (or the Supreme Court) should be picking our presidents. When you have a " winner take all" approach to assigning a state' s electoral votes, you diminish the say of the people. The EC was designed to get around communications and travel problems of the 18th century. It was the best answer to democracy for the time. Now we outta stand up for the " one man, one vote" concept that was really the reason for democratically electing our president, rather than letting the congress pick him, for instance. Wyoming' s got 3 electoral seats. Even if one less voter votes for a particular feller, the one getting the extra vote gets all the seats, thereby negating the other 49.999% of the voters. Every man' s vote outta count the same. And if you really wanna git political, I' ll tell you why a feller lyin' about his personal affairs and costing us nothing ain' t near as bad as a feller lyin' about foreign policy and costing us the lives of our young men. Case you ain' t noticed, the Europeans ain' t been proved wrong.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep they do feel etc diffent elk ivorys.( maybe theres diffent types of ivory?% of componds etc?)

But i wouldnt mind haveing some big old whale teeth & tusksToo .

That be one mean looking wapati big antlers& tusks[][:-]

maybe they rooted more for foods then?forbesshoots & roots / now more grazers& grass eaters, more so then most deer too?

It is very good to have them and have them still around , even if smaller& no tusks lol.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Europeans ain' t been proved wrong.
On what?( beware of dragons?)

What lies to the east& west are both america not the indies or the ...a drop off- we didnt have alaska then & europe held many crown outposst& lands claimed my many kings & countrys in europe.

They sure havent progressed much.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

I stand corrected.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well at least the europeans who stayed home.

And loyalist to the crown - what a pain when we trying to break the we our your property thing... this is our county now.
Red coats ppphh[:' (]

just better targets.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.