Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!! >

Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Uhh, Stupid kid killed me!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Whats with all the moving posts around SWT? Sit back have some fun and don't work so hard. Then again you are a Marine.
I would but people keep posting stuff in the wrong section.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The initial post sounded to me like you packed up the morning after the shot for the 7x7 was spoiled. Sorry about the missunderstanding. Sounds like we are all learning something here. Your last two posts sound to me like a real man talking. I wish you and all your hunting partners well.

But I can tell you that you will be in for more days like you describe if you take more young people in the future. It is hard enough to hunt with a real grown up that we get along with, that has as much passion for the sport as we do, much less someone as young as him who hadn't been before. He definetaly has his issues, and I too would have been pissed if a kid didn't show great remorse at wounding one. In fact, I might have said that for the rest of the trip, the bull he missed would be the only one he could go for.

FYI, I am 51 and will be packing in this Friday on an elk hunt, so don't think you are out of it anytime soon! I sure don't plan on giving it up anytime soon.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I would but people keep posting stuff in the wrong section.
So......it isn't a perfect world. Don't be a nit picker

Muley- She said at least he didn't sit on the road bugling, he went in there with you. You know she has a point, just the fact that he is willing to go in there on a back pack hunt makes him a more of a go-gitter than 1/2 the men his age.
He may have learned a better lesson than you give him credit for.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

we have all wounded game one time or other ..and i don't remember the amount of deer ,moose,caribou and bears i have shot ...BUT i rember very clearly the ones that i have lost [wounded] let us learn from our mistakes ....

Last edited by heinz57; 09-08-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen to that one. My misses are never forgotten.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
usa
Fork Horn

forget about how long you have left to hunt, I'm working on 69 and we leave for a backpack bow elk hunt next week in Colorado, you don't give yourself or the young man enough credit,he learned more than he realizes and you upon reflection have also learned, sounds like a great experience,do yourself and the young man a favor take him back out and work to get him a bull you'll both profit from the trip, God speed your son in Irac, semper fi
Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
So......it isn't a perfect world. Don't be a nit picker
I realize that but you asked what's up with all the moving of posts. Not nit picking, just doing my job.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Not nit picking, just doing my job.
Gold star for SWT
Old 09-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

In reading this thread I have kind of you seen you come around a little bit. I see both sides of this and I too have taken someone hunting that was just ticked me off but like you I saw it a little differently after some time had passed.

From your posts you sound like a pretty good elk hunter. Most are not so you were doomed from the beginning with this kid because he is just not at your skill level as an elk hunter and it sounded like you were somewhat expecting him to be even if it was subconscience. You were expecting a run and gun elk hunt, which is the best BTW, and he simply wasn't there with you.

The other stuff is just nagging stuff that rubbed you wrong because the kid got you in a bad disposition from the beginning, again because he just wasn't at your level.

In the future I would suggest, unless you really know someone, is to expect them to be a novice and plan on doing a lot of teaching, going slow, and don't expect to kill much. If you're not in the mood to do that, then don't take someone that's not at your skill level.

I do know how you feel though. I had a very similar experience.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two years ago I wounded two of the biggest bucks we had on our property. Hit one in the shoulder at thirty three yards and hit one in the ribs and deflected up into the shoulder at seventeen yards. Both with the rage broadhead but that's a different story. I took myself out of the woods and hung the bow up. It was pre rut and I was sick to my stomach for doing that. My father was upset and happy at the same time. Upset only because we watched those bucks on our property for a couple of years and knew they weren't returning and happy that I had enough sense to call it quits. Everybody makes mistakes and we learn from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.