Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DIY archery elk tips?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default DIY archery elk tips?

More than likely going to be DIY archery elk hunt come this fall in Montana. Won't be able to scout before the season aside from any research I can do online, and phone calls I can make.

So anyone with tips on how to find an area to hunt without being able to scout before season and without ever having been to an area, what are some ways to learn an area without visiting it?

I plan to order some BLM maps here soon, and I have google earth. I've hunted elk 3 times to no avail, only once with an outfitter though. I am holding out for a 300"+.

Off the top of my head I'm planning two days driving out there, two days back, hunting all week, though 5 days of hunting sounds pretty short, especially for having not hunted or scene the area prior. So perhaps I'll extend that 5 days...though maybe I'll get lucky and get to go home early!

Thanks for any tips, no matter how big or small they are...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Default RE: DIY archery elk tips?

I don't know if in Montana there are any places like I have seen here in Idaho, but you might look into places that will scout ahead for you and give you locations and bearings on how to get where they have been, a friend of mine works for one of these outfits and he takes pictures of the game he is finding on foot and with game cameras they leave in the area and sends the pics to the client so that they may see what the guide is seeing. I know that doesn't mean they will be there when you are but thy should be close.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Harvest reports from previous year(s) might be an indicator. Also, if its a quota hunt that yields high than plan on a lot of people traffic. If you plan on holding out for a 300"s or more than I hope you plan on hunting up here for quite a few years. Theirs been times when after 3 weeks dealing with the elements and leaving bits and pieces of meself out there I would of settled for a dang ole calf. I don't know if your hunting prairies or the mountains but when that animals down the fun stops and now you have to get it back by yourself. Another reminder, eat healthy, you'll need the energy. Good Luck.

Bobby
Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 days is not enough. Not for a DIY out of state elk hunt. I am not saying that it can't be done.. I am just saying that you are setting yourself up for failure. In my opinion if you are going out west, you need to dedicate 10 days or more for hunting. I have been elk hunting nearly all my life, and I wouldn't even attempt a 5 day hunt. You are on the right path. BLM maps are essential gear. Use these forums and others to your advantage. Don't hesitate to call the Montana Fish and Game department and as to speak with a biologist that works the area you want to hunt. I would love to tell you to go and hunt my home state of Idaho. However, the wolves are ruining your chances. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to help.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

More than likely going to be DIY archery elk hunt come this fall in Montana. Won't be able to scout before the season aside from any research I can do online, and phone calls I can make.

So anyone with tips on how to find an area to hunt without being able to scout before season and without ever having been to an area, what are some ways to learn an area without visiting it?

I plan to order some BLM maps here soon, and I have google earth. I've hunted elk 3 times to no avail, only once with an outfitter though. I am holding out for a 300"+.

Off the top of my head I'm planning two days driving out there, two days back, hunting all week, though 5 days of hunting sounds pretty short, especially for having not hunted or scene the area prior. So perhaps I'll extend that 5 days...though maybe I'll get lucky and get to go home early!

I highlighted 2 things that really stick out in your post. Archery gear, 5 days, and holding out for a 300+ bull don't go together very well. Obviously anything is possible, but you better pick 2 of those 3 if you want to be realistic. Also, you don't even know what area you are going to and you are expecting a 300+ bull? Honestly, your expectations are just WAY too high. You don't have to kill one that big for it to be a true trophy. Hell, I think P&Yis 270".

Camping? If so, spend the money on gear to make it comfortable. If you aren't eating well, staying dry, and sleeping comfortably, then even 5 days will seem like a long time.

I truly wish you the absolute best of luck in your hunt. I hope it all comes together for you.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck with the DIY elk hunt. When you are in elk country there can be elk anywhere. Here today and gone tomorrow is something that comes to mind. If you are in a real elky area without a ton of pressure I bet you will run into them sometime in the hunt. Try to stay away from the roads and you should at least hear bugling and be able to get something going. Holding out for a 300" animal with a bow is a bit of a stretch though. The BLM and google earth type maps should allow you to find some decent looking areas to look for them.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Hey there Brother Flatt lander !

First thing is 5 days is short but if its all I had I would still go . I hunt Co been going out I think its been 12 years now I would have to look at date on my first unfilled tag lol

Keep your expectations real . Its huge and overwhelming but just get out and get in it start learning.

This is a good place to start ask all the questions you can and take note most of the guys on here are a great bunch and know elk .

We started out in the Flatt Tops Mountains Co. its big and didn't know where to start so we just jumped in and started hunting learning and scaring the crap out of elk lol. It took us about 4 years to really understand elk and elk country . I can just about get in to elk know within a day our 2 .

What we have learned from DIY is way more valuable then any guided hunt you can go on and believe me I'm still learning .

If I can help you out any way let me know I will !
Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

My top things

1 Be in the best shape you can!
2 Be in the best shape you can!
3 shoot every day even if its 15min
4 I practice out to 70 yards make 50 seem like a chip shot.

More to come time to eat!

Shane
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not going to this year, but did read up on Idaho recently, figure I could hunt eastern ID along the WY border... with an OTC archery tag whereas in WY I'd need a guide etc...to hunt those wilderness areas, I actually have a friend in Jackson, but I'm currently waiting to draw a limited area in WY out east unit 7, after I draw/hunt there, I plan to just put in for a general elk tag in WY and hunt with that friend out near Jackson, so that's still some years away, but I figured a good back up would be an ID elk tag some off year...or til I wait to hunt that general tag in WY.

I know 5 days seems fast, but the drive from chicago to MT would be hard to do in a day there and a day back, which could give me 7days hunting then, weekend to weekend just fits so nicely ya know?

Perhaps I can take off fri night, hunt sunday which would give me an extra day at the start, then just add another day or two near the end, to push that 5 day hunt to a 7-10day.

Hopefully with my luck I'll go ahead an plan the 10day hunt and just shoot a monster the first day or two, haha.

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

5 days is not enough. Not for a DIY out of state elk hunt. I am not saying that it can't be done.. I am just saying that you are setting yourself up for failure. In my opinion if you are going out west, you need to dedicate 10 days or more for hunting. I have been elk hunting nearly all my life, and I wouldn't even attempt a 5 day hunt. You are on the right path. BLM maps are essential gear. Use these forums and others to your advantage. Don't hesitate to call the Montana Fish and Game department and as to speak with a biologist that works the area you want to hunt. I would love to tell you to go and hunt my home state of Idaho. However, the wolves are ruining your chances. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I will be glad to help.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya. I consistently say you pay an outfitter/guide to outfit, not so much do the hunting for you...and if I had the money etc... normally I'd strongly consider a guide/outfitter, just isn't going to happen this year. Couple years back I went on my dads and then my own guided elk hunt in NM, part of me thinks you need a guide, then part of me thinks, you really dont.

Personally I'd rather shoot a cow, or no elk at all then to take a sub 300". I have done some research into quality areas, which is all I apply for anymore. I think my tag if/when I draw it will be a bull only tag, though perhaps an either or not sure, looking to take a bull though.

I'm gonna really have to do some research to the area so hopefully from day 1 I can be actively hunting/chasing some elk, and it sounds like I'm gonna have to extend that 5 days more towards 10days.

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I highlighted 2 things that really stick out in your post. Archery gear, 5 days, and holding out for a 300+ bull don't go together very well. Obviously anything is possible, but you better pick 2 of those 3 if you want to be realistic. Also, you don't even know what area you are going to and you are expecting a 300+ bull? Honestly, your expectations are just WAY too high. You don't have to kill one that big for it to be a true trophy. Hell, I think P&Yis 270".

Camping? If so, spend the money on gear to make it comfortable. If you aren't eating well, staying dry, and sleeping comfortably, then even 5 days will seem like a long time.

I truly wish you the absolute best of luck in your hunt. I hope it all comes together for you.

Quick Reply: DIY archery elk tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.