HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY archery elk tips?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
huntingson
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY archery elk tips?

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

More than likely going to be DIY archery elk hunt come this fall in Montana. Won't be able to scout before the season aside from any research I can do online, and phone calls I can make.

So anyone with tips on how to find an area to hunt without being able to scout before season and without ever having been to an area, what are some ways to learn an area without visiting it?

I plan to order some BLM maps here soon, and I have google earth. I've hunted elk 3 times to no avail, only once with an outfitter though. I am holding out for a 300"+.

Off the top of my head I'm planning two days driving out there, two days back, hunting all week, though 5 days of hunting sounds pretty short, especially for having not hunted or scene the area prior. So perhaps I'll extend that 5 days...though maybe I'll get lucky and get to go home early!

Thanks for any tips, no matter how big or small they are...
I highlighted 2 things that really stick out in your post. Archery gear, 5 days, and holding out for a 300+ bull don't go together very well. Obviously anything is possible, but you better pick 2 of those 3 if you want to be realistic. Also, you don't even know what area you are going to and you are expecting a 300+ bull? Honestly, your expectations are just WAY too high. You don't have to kill one that big for it to be a true trophy. Hell, I think P&Yis 270".

Camping? If so, spend the money on gear to make it comfortable. If you aren't eating well, staying dry, and sleeping comfortably, then even 5 days will seem like a long time.

I truly wish you the absolute best of luck in your hunt. I hope it all comes together for you.