Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Elk

Old 04-28-2003, 07:54 PM

Default Montana Elk

Got drawn for Elk/Deer this year, wondering any pointers you could give me for the Early Rifle hunts over there. What' s the terrain like, to steep and deep for walking or is it a pack in only type hunt? Thanks
Old 04-29-2003, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Montana Elk

I' d like to offer some advice trapper but if you could give some specifics that would help. So much of Montana is different, so to say one type of terrain would be unfair. What area are you hunting, when you say early when are you coming, and how hard are you planning on hunting? Sorry to be nit picky
Old 04-29-2003, 07:42 PM

My Brother inlaw is setting up the where part,I believe we' ll be either in the Bob Marshall near Kalispell or near Hamilton( I think thats the name). We' ve got two different places in case the other don' t pan out. Man if it wasn' t Turkey season, I' d be itchin to get over there so fast. Can' t wait! Thanks for your help

As far as the hunting hard part, well it' s nothing for me to walk 10 miles a day just turkey hunting, on ground any where from 3000 to 5500 ft elv. Couple years ago elk hunting for nine day, I think I walked close to 70 miles,hiking, tracking, and stalking. IF I' m hunting I don' t like to quit til the sun goes down period.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:22 AM

Well trapper if you' re in shape that' s going to take you a long long way. I can' t tell you how many road hunters we have here, and if you can go for ten miles a day you' ve got an advantage over 80% of hunters here. A lot of the Bob is outfitted and a lot of those outfitters go 20+ miles in on horses. I' ve never hunted it myself because it is fairly well known, but I do know a few people who' ve hunted it and have gotten mixed reports on how good it is. If you are in the Bob the terrain is going to be really rugged, and there are quite a few griz in there. If you are going far enough back in to where you can hunt the early rifle season, then the bulls will be talking and you should definately be into them.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM

HEy thanks MT, sounds good I think we' ll be up to it, I told the wife that 1 week after Turkey is over with( May 15 here) every night she needs to remind me about the treadmill, If I say no she is supposed to say Montana. I think that will work. Plus an early rilfe hunt would be nice, we here never hunt the rut. SO every advantage I can get I can use. Bagged 1 elk since ' 96, Either bad luck, one got stolen, or the last chance I had all I can figure is that it was windier down where he was than where I was shootin' from. But I can tell this is THE YEAR.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:50 PM

A good friend of mine hunted the " Bob" on the early rifle season last year on deep in pack trip. Never saw an elk on the hoof!! Go figure!!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people can' t find elk cause they don' t know how to hunt them. I think you just gotta go to the Bob and find out for yourself, but I would finish up my turkey hunting there as opposed to comeing out now as snow is still present at the 5,500 ft, elev. and below that its a major melt down. I never hunted the Bob, but have fished it and if you want a rugged, challenging hunt then this is your place. I live 75 miles to the north along the Cannuk border and do my hunting right here in my own back yard. Hwy 2 from Washington state will bring you to the north of the Bob. The Sun River Game Preserve borders the southeast of the Bob and will open to the public I believe May 15 where people come from all over and find many elk sheds and and cash in on some easy money and dealer set ups willing to pay good $ for the antlers. I suggest that you concentrate your efforts along the preserve to ambush any elk that may have been pressured. If you bow hunt you can shoot a cow if your not choosey. This is when the bulls are peaked and very vocal starting in mid-sept. As far as deer hunting goes you can hunt white-tail and mulies. I think you' ll find out that you can be pretty picky on deer and hold out for a nice trophy. I would not hunt elk and deer at the same time as it will mess up a hunt. Hunt for your goal and then go after the next and don' t settle for less. There is also a deer application availiable that you can get from FWP' s to shoot an additional deer ( B-tag= camp meat) and on the same app. you can put in for cow elk in exchange for your elk tag. In hunting the Bob you' ll find out that your not the dominate creature and care should be exersized as well as the possibility of getting back. I know of a man and his son who spent a few unplanned nights in the Bob because of getting lost. Its not a place for a newbie, just go prepared. With a little homework I think you guys will have a good hunt. If you do make it out this way make sure you bring your fishing pole, as trout fishing is great. Good luck and let us know how your scouting goes. Bobby