Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week >

Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

Old 04-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wapiti Hunting Photos from last week

The chopper is an awesome way to get around.
Expensive but you can lift a lot of gear. The " Squirrel" that we used had a payload of 1,000 KG (2,200 ponds) inclusive of passengers. We had her loaded to the max.
Cost is about USD$800 an hour. Our total fly time in and out was about 1.5 hours.
In this area Choppers can only land below high tide water mark, as the Department Of Conservation are preserving the area as a Wilderness Zone.
So we land on the beach, and then after that it' s all foot work.
We formed a comfortable base camp, and did " Fly Camps" where you hike/climb out for a day and then stay for a few nights. The return to base is great as, that' s where the good food and beers are and always good to catch up with your mates and share a few yarns around the camp fire.
We took a Cast Iron Camp Oven with us and on day one we made up a nice big stew. Every day we just " Topped-up" the stew with fresh meat potatoes and vegetables and let it brew in the embers, I tell you by day 10 that was one helluva good stew....
The fish we cooked in Tin-Foil in the embers...man this is making me hungry.