Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time. >

Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Old 03-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Packing gear and getting real excited.
Drawn a Wapiti ballot in a good area.
Heading in with three mates for 9 days.
The Wapiti are thin on the ground and the country is real tough.
Down here in the southern hemishere, the bugle period is March to April.
Here' s a question for you seasoned Elk hunters:
Is it true that the bigger and more mature bulls, bugle/rut earlier in the season?
Old 03-18-2003, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

I have gotten bulls fired up in all parts of the season, begining, middle, end. The thing that gets them really fired up is when the cows come into heat so that can change from year to year. It really depends on how you call and if it is what the bull is expecting to hear. You can get them fired up in any part of the season. It doesn' t matter if it is a heard bull or a satellite. Tell them what they do or don' t want to hear can make the difference. Just piss them off!!
BowElkDwn
Old 03-18-2003, 08:54 AM

I hunt elk in Idaho. Generally the bigger bulls are busy at the first part of the rut gathering up the cows. They are not necessarily vocal about it. The best strategy is to cow call and let them come in to you. Normally they will come in quiet early in the rut.
Later on when the more vocal period of the rut begins and most hunters head for the woods the big bulls seem to magically already have the cows bunched up in their groups. That is because they have already been gathering the cows prior to the bulls getting more vocal.
Once the bulls have their cows they tend to round them up and head off to rougher country (now that the wolves have pushed them out of the flat country here in Idaho).
Once the bulls start getting really vocal in the rut it is tough to call in a herd bull with cows, they are more likely to gather their cows and move out if you bugle and push them. Some hunters who really know what they are doing are able to pursue these herds and get between the bull and his cows and then you have a better chance of getting the herd bull.
Generally during the vocal period later in the rut you will have better luck calling in the satellite bulls with the cow call as they are trying to get cows and would rather not have to fight to get them.
IMO the best time to call in the BIG bulls is the second week of the rut, just prior to when the bulls really start to bugle good. That is when they are busy gathering cows and are suckers for a good cow call, remember they usually come in quiet early in the rut.
Good luck with your hunt, take time to post a story on your hunt as we here in the U.S. are starved for fresh hunting stories this time of year.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim, I was wondering where the heck can you hunt elk when their calving about now and then I saw where your from. Go get em. I have to wait for another 6mos.
Good advise Noway, and thats what its all about, trying to figure those cotton pickers out.
Better be careful in calling for elk. Timeing is everything. The peak of the rut here is mid Sept. I DO NOT call before Bow season starts. At the very begining of the season I will use a series of calls like a cow and calf or a non-agressive bugle to locate the bull, the reason for this is the bulls is herding thir harem and aren' t fighting yet. You can be a mile away and call and that bull will know the exact tree your near. Thats why I close the gapped and move because I don' t want that bull to think any longer than he has too, cause his wits beat mine.
Mid Sept. its the peak of the rut, and now the bulls are very vocal as the cows are comeing in estrus. This is when I use a cow in heat call, I make it sound like a love sick cow and mix it up with some more cow calls and this is one of my favorites, but LOOKOUT, they can come in fast on you at this time. Sometimes I' ll get an answer on my second note. Anytime after the rut is risky to use a bull call, sometimes that bull may come towards you or may take his harem and head up the mountain.
The most important factors is scent control and movement. The wind will beat ya. I like to hunt parallel with a reven because of the winds going up/down the mountain and make sure you stay below the ridge.
Good Luck and keep us posted, wish I was there instead of on this stupid computer. Bobby
Old 03-19-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Tim

Elk hunting already!

That' s great! You got some good info there by Noway and 121553.

I' d like to add, if you aren' t getting much action with those location bugles, (high pitched squeals with little to no growl at the end, and no grunts) assuming you are within earshot of elk. (1/2 mile) Don' t hesitate to try and use cow calls to locate elk instead of bugles,this can work wonders on early season bulls. Use such ones as Lost cow call or Demanding cow calls, as these are farther reaching than the normal mews or herd talk, they also DEMAND an elks attention. If bulls are around those two calls will work, when used properly, when bugling won' t.

The difference between bugling and cow calling is when you recieve response with any cow call, you immediatley want to move toward the bull quickly making as much noise as you can muster up. (stomping,breaking branches, running through brush, etc.) Continue to cow call with those long mournful mews with added excitement as you go toward him. Remember you must think like an elk at this time, this is exactly how a cow would respond when called in by bulls. This is no time for SNEAKING. As you do this senario the bull will probably be bugling his brains out trying to call you to him. When aprox. 100yds away setup, and finish him off with excited cow calls, that' s 2 shorts 1 long whinny mew or 2.

To answer your question, Hell ya you can get big bulls to answer calls when hunting early season. Remember once a bull is located be aggressive with your calling and don' t let him down once you' ve started working him up, get to him as quick as possible. The Primos HYPER Lip Single Reed cow call will make all these sounds.

Man I' m getting excited just writting this, wish I was going with you. There' s nothing like CALLING BULLS IN.
elknut1

Old 03-20-2003, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

Man you guys are giving me some awesome advice.
Sincere thanks.
This is the sort of thing I like to see on this board, instead of some of the other fruitless debates, that just wind up other hunters.
Sounds like that cow call is a useful item.
Unfortunately down here Elk are in remote country and reasonably thin on the ground. Elk Hunters are even thinner on the ground. So you can imagine, our hunting stores don' t have the equipmet on the shelves like you guys have up there in the USA.
Last year I mail ordered a " Sceery" Cow Call from Cabelas, and have been out playing with it amongst some penned up Elk on one of those " Canned" hunt operations. Seems to get the attention of the Bulls, but as yet haven' t had one come looking for me. (By the way the penned up Elk have started Bugling already, they seem to start a week or two earlier than the wild ones.)
So would appreciate any advice on both the Sceery call or the best techniques.
For the Bull call I use a piece of Plastic pipe and try my best.
I' ve done 9 Elk hunting trips, but only ever taken one trophy head.
And haven' t had too many opportunities to use calls.
The Wapiti over here live in real tough country, which is a big challenge itself.
You have to have a big passion, or be just a little bit crazy to go back, year after year, when the odds are like they are. I love it.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:06 AM

Tim,
You still have time to mail order a real bugle from Cabelas. It will be worth the money for locating elk. In the absence of a bugle just blow your cow call really loud. They will respond to that as well.
Early in the year don' t use the deep throated full bugles, just hit a high note and trail off. Cover lots of ground with the wind in your face, bugle ever 10 or fifteen minutes, just one high note bugle, blow your cow call as you cover ground, try to sound like 2 or 3 cows, kick the ground, break some branches as you go. Keep a good eye out for other elk coming to join your " herd" .
When you get to country that has good elk sign sit down and cow call every few minutes for 1/2 hour, give those big bulls a chance to come in quiet on you.
Sounds like you are hunting by yourself. If so remember that most bulls have a hang up point at about 80 yards. If they don' t see another elk it is tough to get them to come closer. One trick for hunting alone is to call and get them coming in and then as silently at possible run forward 30 or 40 yards and get set up and don' t call anymore from that spot as long as the bull keeps coming. Then when he hangs up at what he thinks is 80yards from what he heard, you may actually be within range at 40 yards. The trick is to not get busted when you are moving up so timing is critical.
One final trick if you have roads in the area is to drive the roads just after dark or just before down and bugle off the roads. If you get an answer then be in position to hunt that area at first light. Good way to extend your hunting day and works pretty well for locating elk in areas where they are widely scattered.
Good luck and make sure to send us a report on how it goes!
Old 03-20-2003, 08:12 AM

Tim,
Forgot to add about where to look.
Elk look for cool country. Look for timbered slopes on the N or NE side or down in the bottom of canyons where they have access to meadows.
They love to spend the day in timber on N slopes where there is a somewhat flat area with a little spring or creek. That is where the topo maps come in, if you can find a spot like that away from roads go check it out.
The very best areas are in burns. If there is country that has burned in the last few years go check that out first.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Fork Horn

No roads down where the Elk are. Just big mountains, thick forested vallies, rivers and Sea coastline.
Only a couple of days to go.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Tim

With a couple days to go, you must be getting excited! I see from some of your other post you' re no stranger to hunting. -----But hunting buglin bulls ain' t regular hunting.

Like Noway mentioned, bulls have a tendency to hang up in that 80yd range. One way to combat that is to try and do the last bit of calling from a spot that has plenty of cover, not an open area where a bull can easily see toward you, if he can, he' ll get nervous and hang up because he knows he should be seeing an elk. So stick to cover and that' ll force him to come looking closer for you. If calling him in with cow calls he won' t be nearly as cautious as they are non threatning.

If you' re not sure exactly what a " location" bugle or any of the cow calls sound like so you can imitate them right, go to http://www.elknut.com/directions.html
and you can hear any or all of them on this site. Good luck. elknut1

Quick Reply: Going Wapiti Hunting in 8 days time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.