Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 elk DIY follow-up / spike camp? >

elk DIY follow-up / spike camp?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk DIY follow-up / spike camp?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default elk DIY follow-up / spike camp?

when you make the decision to DIY, and plan to go in 5-6 miles-- what to bring in on your external frames going into set up a spike camp is another decision-- we've gone from 2 guys to possibly 4-- that should help in terms of sharing the weight of what wecarry in. Also this will likely be early season so the weather SHOULD be cool/comfortable rather than ugly.

Anyone have some"must haves" to share for setting up spike camp-- enoughwater/food,caring for game until we bring it out,having an EPERB,etc? Keeping weight down-- but not leaving out essentials.

I'll dosome morereading, but just in case the group has some gems of ideas-- always valuable... thx.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk DIY follow-up / spike camp?

A EPIRB is never a bad idea.. like you said enough food and water and shelter is a must. I vaccum seal things before I go. Like a package of socks and a pair of underwear. Those are always good things to be able to change. A way to start a fire is a must , I also like the small cooking burners. Everything you need to cook or boil water.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk DIY follow-up / spike camp?

Bag, pad and tent are a minimum along with food/cooking material. Remember if you shoot something, it's all extra stuff to carry out.

We hiked in 7-8 miles and back out again each day rather than camp in. In retrospect it cost us some good hunting hours. But we carried lighter packs over a nasty pass and when we did shoot something it was more convenient when packing it out.

I think next time we will hire horses to pack in our camp and pick us up. Best of both worlds.