Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spike Camp Scenes

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Spike Camp Scenes

Below:
Here's our "tarp tent" started with a 30x40 poly tarp and ended up with a 17x18 tent with nice 3' sod cloths and no zippers but rigged up with overlapping folds that were way tight! We fit 8 people with ease (on the ground -- no cots) plus room for the stove kitchen/firewood pile and an empty spot right by the door --- anyone there would have gotten trampled anyway so best left vacant.

Below: Inside view from the "door" sorry about the mess. Note the cylinder stove and the "arab tent" interior poles to help with snow and/or tension the tarp so it doesn't "flap" in the wind.

Below: Sitting in the "kitchen"! Your choice MRE's (military ready to eat) or Snickers. Unless you are really hungry for fat and salt, I'd recommend the Snickers. Note the carbon monoxide detector perched in the top of the propane cylinder.

Below: Milling about before supper is served.

Below: Taking advantage of mother nature --- trees are useful in many ways.... gun rest, saddle "tree", pack rest, clothes closet....

Below: In order left to right:
Panniers, Top Cover, Lashing Rope (Lashing Cinch), 5x5 head, 4 quarters and backstraps in game bags....

Home sweet home away from main camp.... BUT I'll always associate it with tremendous amounts of physical exertion because it was not far from here that we got into the elk and THAT is when the fun ends and the W-O-R-K begins! With the passage of time it becomes a "labor of love" but there are definitely moments (exhaustion).

EKM
Old 11-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spike Camp Scenes

Beauty in the details!!! Looks great.
What did you guys put around the vent where it exited the tent? Piece of wood?
We have a couple tarp tents that we made ourselves and where the stove pipe exited the tent was our main concern. We rigged it homemade. Cut a piece of OSB to vent the stove pipe through. Also, we had 5 inch stove pipe placed inside 6 inch stove pipe with some Kaowool placed between the two for insulation. Overkill? Maybe, but melted tent is bad.......especially when it is a long, long way back to the house.

How far do you "pack in"?
We have no "horse" people among us so packing in has to be a 4wd road. But as we get experience, I would like to do some overnighters on my own two hooves. Just wanting make sure that my effort isn't wasted in an area without game. But have Topo maps have lots of info.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:39 AM

Stove jack is the same ones they sew into wall tents, generally made of fiberglass, expensive, $25 or so.

We go back in about 4 miles from the road. I was a cowboy in a former life and two of our group from Nebraska are ranchers so we had lots of horse experience on hand, though I've got to tell you that you can never let your guard down with them, especially when you are out of practice like myself.

EKM
Old 11-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I am from Texas and I admit it.......I am not a big fan of the horse. Probably due to two facts. I am a control freak and never had one of my own. One of our crew's dad used to take theirs up to your country and even though they were good horses and they were cowboys, they acted different up there. Have another friend that takes his and swears it is the only way to go.
Since I don't have any of my own and don't want to start, figure I will just have to use diesal, gas and foot power.
We may end up turning a 7 day trip into 14 if we ever got that many elk on the ground. But as I have mentioned before, I am hard headed as a fencepost (wife reminds me all the time) and I come from a long line of hard-headed hunters. We never waste game. We always hunt hard. We kill it, we get it out if it kills us. No excuses. I have read some on this site making their decisions about taking a shot based on the location they are in. We made that decision when we apply for a tag. We hunt and we harvest. We get it out if humanly possible.

So did you buy the stove jack from a tent company?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:05 PM

We bought the stove jack for the wall tent from Davis Tent Company here in Denver.

EKM