Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

delete

Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: Colorado DOW misinforming hunters

Thanks for the information, just sent it to him. Not sure if he will get the chance to attend, but I sent it to him so he has the option if he can, thanks again.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

No problem, your welcome.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Skeeder1964

Just got back from a hunt in Gunnison, Colorado. What a huge disappointment. Last year there was a lot of elk sign, but we didn't see anything. This year no sign at all. Except dead elk and mule deer from the winter kill. Thanks Co. DOW for lying to us about how well the elk made it. I was in contact with the DOW a few times regarding how well these animals made it in the Basin of Gunnison. I was informed over and over that they were fine. What a huge mistake to give them all that money, and what it cost me to fly out and pay for everything else that goes along with a hunt. I was ready to pull out after the first day. So was all the rest of the crew I was hunting with. Everyone I talked to that was hunting there could not believe how bad it was there. The mule deer last year were everywhere. This year you were lucky to see any. I knew these deer were hurt last year during the winter, but they were being fed, as well as the elk. I heard they were feeding 800 elk in the basin, and another 1000 just out of town in the opposite direction of Gunnison. Where are all these animals? I pulled out Wednesday afternoon. Two days early, couldn't see wasting my time not seeing anything. I have a friend who lives in Gunnison, and he has been after his brother and myself to come out there and hunt with him for a few years because it was good hunting for elk. We were unfortunate to pick the worst two years that they have seen for hunting elk with the warm temperatures also. Coupled with last years record snow depths. Last year I will spending all that money to go after elk. I will stick to bowhunting the whitetails in NY where I live. I hate missing those 9 days during the rut anyways. Any one else feel the same? about how bad it was hunting elk in Colorado this year?
If I were you I would show those Colorado Dow guys and just never go back! The DOW here sucks, the hunting heresucks, so I would just go elk hunting in New York If I were you.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Spike

Default delete

delete
Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read the whole thread skeeder. Bottom line is your attacking our DOW and calling them liars, even in your last post. Not honest=liar. I know a ton of Colarodo Dow employees and they are not liars. They go out of their way to help you all they can. This year I had 2 DOW officers passing my name and phone numbers out to land owners to help me fill my bear tag. I think you need to take this years elk hunt and try to learn from it and see what you can do to be successful next year. Blaming your hunt on the DOW makes no sense at all.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I have hunted Colorado the past 3 years and made the drive from the east coast. I always found the DOW/ and associated ranger stations to be of great help. I wish our own state F&W Dept was as good about putting out information and helping hunters. DIY Elk hunting is a hit and miss game and success has nothing to do with being told where or where not to go. This year we had to move a couple of hours away to find the animals. If they aren't where you hunt them you have to go out and find them. It took going far into a wilderness area before we were satisfied we were even in the game.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default delete

delete
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now they are not just liars, they are lying to pad their own wallets.You want us to believe they were out to get you, so they could make money for themselves! LMFAO

You had a bad hunt, let it go. Lots of "How To Hunt Elk" books at the library. I'll tell you right now though, read all the books, watch all the videos, listen to experienced hunters, and do everything just right....and your still going to have years where you eat your tag instead of elk. That's why they call it hunting! Good luck next year!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Spike

Default delete

delete
Old 11-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is, I'd bet money no one lied or was dishonest. What would they have to gain personally? All the DOW guys and gals I know are just really good down to earth people that love their job and helping hunters. I have met some that were not that smart, but most of them know what they are talking about or will get you someone who does.I hope you have better luck in the future.

Quick Reply: delete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.