HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   delete (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/272570-delete.html)

Skeeder1964 11-09-2008 07:00 AM

delete

delete

Champlain Islander 11-09-2008 08:21 AM

RE: Colorado DOW misinforming hunters

We saw plenty of elk and hunted DIY the second rifle season. We were in a different area than Gunnison but it was about the same as the past 3 years for us. I think the DOW does a pretty good job ofmanaging the resource. I guess everyone has a decision to make. Hunting eastern whitetails or going out west for elk....no problem with my decision making. I plan to go out twice next year.:D
OBTW we got 2 elk (7X7 and a 5X5) and a mulie (one guy had a deer tag). The warm weather hurt us until we went real high and got away from the crowds. Getting 2 was pretty good considering we had to spend two days, dark to dark, packing them out on our backs from 11,500 in a wilderness area.

Colorado Luckydog 11-09-2008 08:54 AM

NOPE!!!:DColorado's DOW does a great job in my opinion!

This was this year with my group. I know a ton of other groups that did just as well!

Skeeder1964 11-09-2008 07:15 PM

delete

delete

madmax83192 11-09-2008 08:43 PM

the winter kill happens every year and this year it was really bad down in the area where you were but everywhere else is fine. I have yet to go elk hunting yet i leave on tuesday

Champlain Islander 11-10-2008 05:40 AM

Good luck and if there isn't much snow ya gotta go high and way back.

skb2706 11-10-2008 08:00 AM

Your friend in Gunnison gave just as bad of info. as you say the DOW here in CO did. Sounds like a great friend. You picked the area, you knew about the winter kill, sounds like there was plenty of blame to toss around.

Elk hunting in CO was excellent. Hunted 3 days to find the big herd, fourth morning picked out my animal at first light and dropped it where it stood, spent the rest of the day prepping it to bring home.

MTMountainMan 11-10-2008 08:50 AM

Same story I hear all the time and even tell myself every once in a while.

Elk and mule deer not where they were last year? Pretty sure that there are none within a100 miles?Sounds like elk / mule deer hunting to me.

Must be wolves ;)

ElkNutz 11-10-2008 07:34 PM

Damn wolves!:D
There was winter kill everywhere in the high country last year. I doubt the area you hunted saw anymore then the rest. Even us guys that are fortunate to reside in the state(and hunt primarily public), rarely kill elk year after year. Thats the name of the game and thats why it's called hunting. I really feel for the guys that come in "blind" from out of state. It has to make the hunt that much tougher. However I don't feel bad'nuff to give up any of my holes.;)

Skeeder1964 11-11-2008 03:31 AM

delete

delete