Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 anyone ever hunted the southern crazy mountains? >

anyone ever hunted the southern crazy mountains?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

anyone ever hunted the southern crazy mountains?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Default anyone ever hunted the southern crazy mountains?

Wanted to see if anyone has ever hunted the southern part of the crazy mountainsin Montana, unit 315. I've heard that the access is pretty tough,a lot of big private ranches that don't allow much hunting, but i'm hoping to huntin the national forest and along the border.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone ever hunted the southern crazy mountains?

If you are hunting on public land for elk (I'm assuming that's what you're after since this isn't on the deer forum) you'll want to be in a good travel area early opening morning and be ready to shoot. The elk around there get shot up real early and travel quickly to less hunted areas bythe end ofopening mrning. After that time, you'll be looking for small resident populations that have holed up and are tough to get in on unless you have spent time on and are familiar with the area. At that time, I have had better luck hunting watering holes than anything else.

Yes, access is tougher and tougher. I don't hardlygo that direction anymore.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info unbridled. I'm not planning on hunting that area this year, I shot my elk this year in archery season so my elk season isover for this year,butIwas looking into archery hunting there next year. Have you everbow hunted that area?If not have you heard how the bow hunting is in that area
Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Now yer talkin. Archery season is your best bet at getting a bull on public land in that area. The bulls around there seem to build their wallows well before they start bugling. Hunt with your nose if they aren't bugling. You'll smell them long before you see them. Don't get too aggressive with the bugling because they'll get antsy and take their harem and leave. I actually like squeaky bugles and high pitched cow calls. I think the high pitched cow calls must make the cows think there is a calf seperated. Call the cows in and the bulls will come. The satelite bulls are pretty aggressive and come in hot. Depending on how big a bull you want, you'll have to decide if you want to hold off for a herd bull or shoot a satelite bull. I think there might be some block management in that area you can get on as well. PM me if you want and let me know a little bit better what area you are looking at and I'll see if I know anything or anyone that can help you out.