Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Spider bull has been killed >

Spider bull has been killed

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spider bull has been killed

Old 10-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spider bull has been killed

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

lots of people bloviate about lack of good bulls and or lack ofpublic land, but 10% of those that complain ever get out of their truck to look for them...

AHHHHHHHH!!!! after all these years the secret is out,darn you MTdream now look what you have done!!!

BBJ

ooops sorry
Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

I must be missing something...I do not understand all the irritation people ahve over some guy paying a guide to get him a bull...

I have hunted DIY my whole life, never once had a guide...and take people out all the time...I scout for them, know most of the elk that are in the drainages I hunt...and if someone comes out to hunt with me, the first question asked is what size bull...most dont really know...some are VERY keen on certain things...(I generally wont hunt with folk who are ONLY concerned about size)

Reason I ask about size/quality of bull is to get a feel for what kind of hunt they want, and what they are looking for...the two guys I took out this year...just wanted a killer father/son thing...however we got into bulls within range 6 times in 4 days...one well over 380 most under 270...

this guy has a lot of money...that does not make him evil...this guy paid a guide service to get him a specific bull...that does not make him evil either...

there are a LOT of executive folk that spend a tremendous amount of time literrally flying from place to place in order to make things happen...their time is typically much more valuable than most of ours combined...Neither does that make them evil...just facts of life...

Do any of you even know the man? DO any of you even know how he got the money? And does ti really matter?

Incredible bull was taken on public land...took even the best hunters almost a month to locate him, after the bull sat in plain site along a road for months...

No one tagged him with GPS...
No one poached him...
No one, to my knowledge, did anything illegal to get him
No one got hurt
No one killed themselves getting him...

the above 5 points say more to me abotu how incredible this bull really was, since he supposedly didnt ahve a snowballs chance in !!@# of escaping with all the publicity he had created...to me, it makes elk even that much more special...which is why I continue to hunt...

but oh well...

Old 10-04-2008, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: MTdream

I must be missing something...I do not understand all the irritation people ahve over some guy paying a guide to get him a bull...

I have hunted DIY my whole life, never once had a guide...and take people out all the time...I scout for them, know most of the elk that are in the drainages I hunt...and if someone comes out to hunt with me, the first question asked is what size bull...most dont really know...some are VERY keen on certain things...(I generally wont hunt with folk who are ONLY concerned about size)

Reason I ask about size/quality of bull is to get a feel for what kind of hunt they want, and what they are looking for...the two guys I took out this year...just wanted a killer father/son thing...however we got into bulls within range 6 times in 4 days...one well over 380 most under 270...

this guy has a lot of money...that does not make him evil...this guy paid a guide service to get him a specific bull...that does not make him evil either...

there are a LOT of executive folk that spend a tremendous amount of time literrally flying from place to place in order to make things happen...their time is typically much more valuable than most of ours combined...Neither does that make them evil...just facts of life...

Do any of you even know the man? DO any of you even know how he got the money? And does ti really matter?

Incredible bull was taken on public land...took even the best hunters almost a month to locate him, after the bull sat in plain site along a road for months...

No one tagged him with GPS...
No one poached him...
No one, to my knowledge, did anything illegal to get him
No one got hurt
No one killed themselves getting him...

the above 5 points say more to me abotu how incredible this bull really was, since he supposedly didnt ahve a snowballs chance in !!@# of escaping with all the publicity he had created...to me, it makes elk even that much more special...which is why I continue to hunt...

but oh well...

You're right, you are missing something. First off, some rich guys time is not worth more than mine or anybody elses, just ask my kids. Secondly, this bulls picture was posted, and a mad dash insued to kill him. "Wow, look at that huge bull, lets kill him no matter how much it cost." How any self respecting hunter can support some guy paying of the game commission to hunt longer than Joe six pack is beyond me. This governor tag, special raffle crap is garbage. Suckers like you and others on this board go "wow, it is a boost to game management." Bull****, is is buying tags and expoliting the people b/c one can afford to do it and getting special privledges. So many people get on these boards and yap about the Antis. Who cares, it is the commercialization of hunting that will destroy it, bought and paid for by people like you supporting this crap. Everyone should by outraged that another hunter gets opportunities at public wildlife you don't because they can buy their way into a special tag, outrageous. [:@] This isn't about begruging somebody with money, it is about equal opportunity for game that the public owns.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: muley699

You're right, you are missing something. First off, some rich guys time is not worth more than mine or anybody elses, just ask my kids.
To you and your family, you are right...to your friends your right...but have you ever gone to a concert? paid to get in to a game? same thing...Somones time is worth you paying for it...Your employer pays for your time...tomatoe tomato...simple fact of life...People make more money than you per hour...just a fact...

Secondly, this bulls picture was posted, and a mad dash insued to kill him. "Wow, look at that huge bull, lets kill him no matter how much it cost." How any self respecting hunter can support some guy paying of the game commission to hunt longer than Joe six pack is beyond me.
Well, I more than consider my self self respecting...and I more than consider myself a hunter...Have knocked down plenty of bulls and bucks that would hit well into the books, and not one of them has been entered...I personally volunteer my time and money to take others out hunting because they cannot afford to pay guides or taket he time (because they are joe sixpack) to scout for the elk...I speak with my actions...

I take other peoples kids out hunting to teach them about how to respect the game and the laws...

ORIGINAL: muley699Suckers like you
might want to re-read my post while trying to put aside your bias...I didnt defend anyone...nor am I a "sucker"

Everyone should by outraged that another hunter gets opportunities at public wildlife you don't because they can buy their way into a special tag, outrageous. [:@]This isn't about begruging somebody with money, it is about equal opportunity for game that the public owns.

Is it equality that out of staters have to pay more for tags? those elk and deer are on federal lands...is it equality that out of staters have to apply in Montana? Is it equality that we have to apply for tags in other states? Is it equality that certain states require you to have a guide?

life is not fair...people are not treated equal...it is life...Money affords different things in life but it also comes at a cost...sometimes your family...sometimes your life...sometimes...

you have a different value system and ethic than someone else...no matter whether you call me a sucker or not use vulgar language or not, it does not make you right nor me or him wrong...

I intentionally did not defend anyone...in fact made a point to cal lout how insane it is that hunters are attacking others for stuff in which they know nothing about.....you know, like you attacked me...and yes, I reported your post for vulgar language, as kids read this and dont need to see that stuff...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mt, the guy that shot the bull can be well respected for having been succesful in life. He cannot be respected as a hunter, only a check writer. If you can't see that now, then we can't explain it to you.

Are you serious, you reported him for vulgar language? Get a life! I need to be careful what I say, I don't want to get reported!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

he paid a guy to get him on a bull...in this case a specific bull...and a lot of money...would we be having this conversation if it was $25,000? Would we be having this conversation if only 3 guys were used to locate the bull? woudl we be having htis conversation if it was not the pending world record? The answer to all of the above is no...

i know VERY respected hunters that routinely Pay $20K+ for the elk they are routinely getting written up about in journals...how come no outrage over that? they didnt scout them...they paid a guy to locate them (specific bulls over 400), and paid a rancher to hunt them, and paid a group to help locate the bull, and paid etc. etc.

However, my comments have been about how ludicrous it is that people are jumping on each other about this stupid bull...I have also commented how you may not know the facts...and jumping to conclusions with the internets version of facts well...that is less than wise...I wont bother with the Assume lesson, but it truly applies...
Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do we have a picture anywhere of the bull, or just the headline?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 AM

I think there are four words to describe the hunter, guide service, and all of those giving this so much attention and energy. Jealousy, Envy, Greed, and Awe I think that covers everyone.

My .02,
Joel
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM

I'll just post my 2 cents worth. Am I jealous, Envious, or greedy heck no! Am I in awe to the fact that this bull has 500'' of antler on top of his head, yes sir I most certainly am. Do I think this bull should be eligible for the record books? Well yea he was a fair chase bull on public land and any joe schmoe could have shot him. Had the mossback crew used something to give them advantage, (blocking roads, helicopters, or anything of that sort) Then no I do not think this bull should be eligible due to the piss poor sportsmanship exhibited by those actions; However there is no proof that they did any of those things so ladies and gentleman Spidey will be your new world record elk.

Now there is a difference between this elk being a world record and actually hunting. I don't think the guy is a hunter, not at all. Anyone... ANYONE can put the crosshairs on a bull that has been found for them and had someone keeping an eye on it. The mossback guys are the hunters in this case, this guy was just lucky enough to pull the trigger. Would I do the same if I had the money? No I wouldn't, but that is because I have been doing it DIY for sooo long. If I had the money that this guyhas I would be doing drop camps so I could still pretty much do it myself but would get to hunt in every state imaginable.

This bull has caused a lot of riff raft, and right fully so. It's almost an unfair advantage on those who are spending THEIR time out looking for a record book bull. In all honesty, I could care less if I ever shot a bull like spider. I'd be dang happy with being able to take a 360'' bull.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: MTdream

he paid a guy to get him on a bull...in this case a specific bull...and a lot of money...would we be having this conversation if it was $25,000? Would we be having this conversation if only 3 guys were used to locate the bull? woudl we be having htis conversation if it was not the pending world record? The answer to all of the above is no...

i know VERY respected hunters that routinely Pay $20K+ for the elk they are routinely getting written up about in journals...how come no outrage over that? they didnt scout them...they paid a guy to locate them (specific bulls over 400), and paid a rancher to hunt them, and paid a group to help locate the bull, and paid etc. etc.

However, my comments have been about how ludicrous it is that people are jumping on each other about this stupid bull...I have also commented how you may not know the facts...and jumping to conclusions with the internets version of facts well...that is less than wise...I wont bother with the Assume lesson, but it truly applies...
I think all the videos, calls, scents, gimmicky suits, trail cams etc are all outrageous. Hence the "commercialization of hunting", it is getting prostituted. However, you have to view this whole "spider bull" show in its complete context. First, pictures cropped up, things were posted and the mad dash to kill him ensued. Some dude buys an opportunity that others can't, then hires an army to track and locate, it is garbage. BTW, I own my own company, I am the boss, and Iwrite the checks to my employees, andI have never considered my time superior to theirs, they have families too. My REAL beef is with this auction/govenors tag crap that has become so popular. Money, should not buy special opportunities sanctioned by the game departments, that the general public cannot buy for a limited publicresource. If a guy can afford his own ranch, and hunt it, then good for him, he deserves it. I have no problem with my neighbor driving a Porsche, good for him. I do not believe in the redistrubution of wealth or that all jobs are created equal. However, there is a scurge developing that is pricing the general public out of the general publics resources. Land leasing has made is ugly way into Montana, and it sucks.
BTW, I reported your post to the mods for vulgar ideology, have a nice day.

Quick Reply: Spider bull has been killed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.