Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

.204 for elk....

Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .204 for elk....

We have a fairly extensive cookshack.....apartment sized cookstove. So frozen biscuits in the oven. Not as good as homemade you might say? I say that depends on who's making them. The frozen ones are the next best thing and whole lot easier.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Given the number of big game hunters we have here, it is surprising how many of them do not appear to eat while on hunting trips.... either that or for most, the extent of eating is: breakfast at home, sack lunch in the field, supper back at home and then sleep at home, then repeat.

Remote/away from home hunts make menu more critical, unless you got someone who is "taking care of it for you."
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, you guys eat like kings!!! I buy MREs with the heater sleeves from Meyers Custom Supply, throw out everything except the heater, the main and the side, add an additionalfoil pouch of Bumblebee BBQ chicken to each "meal" for "dinners" and a foil packaged SPAM single for "breakfast" and can fit 5 days of food in a shoe box. The heaters last quite a while so while I am eating the main, I put the "chicken pouch" or SPAMin the heater and enjoy a tasty "treat" after I swish the "side", usually pears, around in my mouth. YUMMY!!! The heater sleeves are incredibly convenient when your fingers are so numb from the cold you could not light a stove anyway.With the MREs I don't need to pack a stove/fuel or dishes. I can eat in less than 10 minutes, there isn't anything to clean up and the meals are so compact I can easily pack enough to stay out in the field (where the elk are) the entire season.

I am incredibly excited about this year, and will be leaving in nine days, one day to hike in and find the bulls. Have everything checked, rechecked, packed and ready to go. The horses are lined up, rifle sighted in and just impatiently waiting fordays to go by!!!

Good luck to everyone hunting this year!

http://www.shop.meyerscustomsupply.com/main.sc
Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Horses lined up?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

My mistake, poor choice of words...

Rather than pack in with horses, because they are a pita, in the past, I would gut out an elk, hang it, hike out, drive home, hook up the trailer, bring the horses and ride in to the carcass. The process was extremely time consuming. A friend of mine, who did notdraw,has graciously agreed to be "on call" to trailer the horses to whatever access point is most convenient, thus my "extraction team" is lined up. A few years ago (after I started carrying the MREs) and freed up alot of pack space, I started packing an 18 volt Dewalt Sawzall for gutting purposes. It works REMARKABLY well and is considererably faster than the "conventional" methods. I am hoping I could have the carcass ready to go long before the horses arrive.

By the way, they aren't mine, I loathe the beasts, but it beats days of packing out meat.

I had thought about Sombrero or other stables, but it just doesn't seem that convenient, is pretty darn expensive if you have access to free horses and you still have to wait around for them to be delivered.