Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bears coming in the dark

Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Bears coming in the dark

Hey everyone,I have been baiting bear forover 3 weeks and they are hitting daily, my problem is that they only seem to show up after dark now.I have seen a couple small ones in the daylight hours but the bigger ones, which I have seenAT dark,were coming too late for me to shoot and now they only show up past dark. Is there any way to change their schedule to suit me instead of them? I am currently leaving a small bait overnight and taking most of it home with me in hopes that they will arrive earlier thinking another bear has already been there and they need to get there earlier for free food. If that doesn't work Iam going to try and make it more difficult for them hoping they will want to be there in the daylight to take on the challenge. Any other ideas?Has anyone else run into the same problem? I have been bear hunting for about 10 years and have never run into this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Bears coming in the dark

The only thing I can suggest is to make a sign saying OPEN Sun up to Sun down, CLOSED after dark.. [8D]
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Bait early in the morning, then leave, and repeat baiting in the mornings without hunting the bait for several days. the larger bears should start showing earlier to get their fill before the smaller bears eat all the bait. Don't overbait to the point that lots of food is left at night. You want the bears to be hungry enough to compete for the bait, but not so hungry they go elsewhere.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Have you tried a honey burn? I have done this with good results. The larger bears sometimes circle the bait out of sight and wait until darkness to feed. Sometimes this will be just enough to pull him out alittle earlier for a shot. I have heard of others using anise, bacon greaseand some other stuff but I have just tried honey so far.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I have not yet tried a honey burn but I have been reading on it and it sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely try it as well as baiting early in the mornings without hunting for a few days. It will work perfect for me next week since I am on afternoon shift and can actually get out there early. I was on dayshift for a few weeks and could only get out after work. It makes sense since that was my usual routine all the other years. And Dozen Arrows, I think I will make a sign becausethat is justhilarious. Besides, some of those bears can be pretty smart and you just never know!!! I have had knots carefully untied from my hanging bait to lower it down to a comfortable eating position. Dang smart bears.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.