Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Which week to Hunt with the outfitter????? >

Which week to Hunt with the outfitter?????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which week to Hunt with the outfitter?????

Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Default Which week to Hunt with the outfitter?????

I am going on a Mule deer / Whitetail deer hunting trip to Alberta Canada this November. I have hunted with this outfitter once before and i took a really nice Mule deer.

My Question is,

My problem is that he has 2 weeks open either the 2nd or 3rd week in Nov. The 2nd week is a Full moon week ( which in my state i don't have to much luck with) and he said that if i come that week he could personally guide me and kind of told me i will a good chance on harvesting to great animals, There's been a couple of deer that he has been watching out for and there isn't anyone in camp that week except for me right now.

The 3rd week the moon is coming off of full moon and into last quarter moon, It will be closer to the rut and a little cooler out. We will be hunting for them by spot and stalk. There will be 3 other hunters in camp and he wouldn't be able to guide me himself that week, Now I like it when there is other hunters in camp it just makes the trip more enjoyable But i do like to take the chance on a 1x1 guided trip and kind of the whole area to myself.

Which week should I pick?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which week to Hunt with the outfitter?????

Is the guy good enough, & will he work hard enough, to get you a critter during the full moon? If you're confident of this, then by all means, go for it!

Besides, those nice ones he's keeping an eye on might not be there for the 2nd hunt.

FC
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 PM

I think he is a honest hard working guide. A friend of mind has been hunting with him for the past 4 years with a least 2 times a year and he said the same thing that he will try whatever it takes to get a chance at a good animal. So i think i will book it for the 2nd week.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM

I would take the second week. It just sounds better to me. No one else hunting and the outfitter will hunt with you and he has been seeing good deer. I think you would be better off hunting by yourself the second week. What does the outfitter think would be best?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Considering that the 2nd week would put you almost certainly into the heart of the Mule deer rut I would not worry about the moon and just hunt. The big boys are out all day during the rut regardless of the moon.

Nemont
Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM

The outfitter said he rather see me on the second week, He said we will have a better chance of getting onto some good deer.

After reading all the post on this site and Monster muley, i have reserve the second week with him.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck, take good pics to share.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice. I would say that, along with your opinion, this outfitter is a good guy as it seems he could take a week off (and have nobody) and then go with a bigger group the next week and make the same money...and get a week off...but he advocated in the other direction.

Is he charging you the same for either week???
Old 08-29-2008, 06:34 PM

He gave me a deal from the start because i have hunted with him beforebut he really didn't care to much on which week to come But he said that he could personally guide me on the 2nd week but he couldn't personnally guide me on the 3rd week. So the 1x1 with owner is kind of nice.