Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tipping ?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tipping ?

I have been with an outfitter 3 times and had a great time. I usually give 10% to 20% depending what I can spend for great service from the guide. I give it to him not the outfitter. I always tip the cook between 50 and 100 bucks but never tip the outfitter.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

This year will be my fourth time hunting in Alberta. The first 2 times was withthe sameguide.He personally "guided" me. When I say guided me, I should say he simply dropped me off in the morning before first light and picked me up after dark for the 6 days I hunted. He was given $100 tip each time, which I think was generous of me considering he's the owner of the service.
Last year I hunted with a different guide service. I gave the cook a $100 tip, and gave the guide (not the owner) $100 as well. They were both very appreciative! The cook fed us very good meals all week. The guide simply dropped us off at our stands before first light and picked us up after dark. Period. Spending$4200 (not including air fare)for a hunt up there is a lot. I can not see tipping anymore than I did.JMHO
Old 08-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: n.florida hunter

Here is a question that I have. I am planning a hunt in Alabama with part time guides. With this all that they are going to be doing is taking myself and my wife to the stands and picking us up. I don't think that a 500 hundred dollar tip is all that needed. Don't jump on me for that but am I the only one that feels this way?
Did you harvest an animal? If so, what did the guide do after the kill? Other than that they're just a high priced chauffeur. My tip would be minimal and more if they took care of the kill.

Then on the other hand........ How do you tip at an upper crustrestaurant for waiter/waitress service?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

I think what I see with the tipping is this.
1. If I kill a buck find it drag it clean it, and all the guide does is take to and from. Then I don't see a need for a tip in the $100 and up range imho.
2. I he takes me to the stand helps me find a deer drag skin and all the other yes sir without a doubt he will be sure to be taken care of as much as I can finacially.
3. The cooks without a doubt deserve something they are doing alot of work taking care of the guest cooking and cleaning up.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually tip the guides between the 10-15 percent range based on how the hunt goes. If they really outperform, then as high as 20%. The cook and other staff ususally $ 100 - 150. It will definitely make you next stay better to reward hard work.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend who is a guide, last year he guided black bears. I went up for a hunt and told him that I didn't want to sit at the lodge until it was time to hunt. So I worked with him during the mornings. Up at 6am everyday, loaded baits, ran all over and filled bear baits. By all appearances, you think that they just "took you to a stand" but they worked their butts off. You have to keep new sites hot and active. Scout areas, etc. Good guides work their butts off.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

It seems like the advice here is pretty good.

I went out for elk my 1st time, & the guy worked his a$$ off for me. We never left camp after sunup, and we never came back before sundown. No one had scored during my entire trip, so the outfitter called-in an extra guide my last day there to glass for elk & radio to the rest of us. Everything during the trip was 1st rate, & I tipped the guy as if I'd gotten a trophy bull: $1,000 on a $6,500 hunt.

Last Fall, the outfitter himself took me out, & we shook every tree, bush, and shrub 'til we found a shooter, which took 2 days. Then I spent portions of the next 8 days with 2 different guides to try for a black bear. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just gave each of them $100/day/guide. They invited me back for moose this Fall, so I guess none of 'em were pissed too badly. For my part, I didn't even consider any other outfitters for the 2nd elk hunt, because I knew how hard these guys worked, and I was convinced they knew what they were doing. This is hunting, after all... there are no guarantees.

I know people who pride themselves on not tipping at restaurants. Having worked in a restaurant, I try to tip as much as their service allows. The same goes for babysitters. I want them to come running when I call, not to run screaming from me!

FC