HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Tipping ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/255552-tipping.html)

RandallT 08-01-2008 10:27 AM

Tipping ?

I am going on my first guided big game hunt this fall. It is a husband/wife operation with another guide. It is a 1x1 archery hunt. The owner is guiding one of us and then another guide for the other. The wife is the camp cook. There will be two other hunters in camp with 1 guide for both, not that it should make any difference other than cook duties.

What is the typical tip for each? I understand more for great service, less for not so great, I am looking for general rules. 10%, 15%.

Do you tip the owner/guide the same as any other guide? What about an owner/cook?

BareBack Jack 08-01-2008 12:34 PM

RE: Tipping ?

If its a great hunt and the guide works hard 10-15% of thehunt cost ie..a 5,000 dollar hunt x 10%=500 bucks.If you wanna give more or less depending on you own evaluation.No guide likes a tight a$$ client when you bust your butt to get them their game.
Good Luck
BBJ

RandallT 08-01-2008 02:47 PM

10% - 15% sounds like a good starting point. What about for the cook/owner and what about if the guide/owner?

NTBNB 08-01-2008 03:45 PM

10-15% of the hunt cost is a very good start, I've gotten anywhere from zip to $2000 tips, depending on if the client saved every last penny for 2 years to come hunt and didn't budget a tip or the company owner who has money falling out his a$$.

BareBack Jack 08-01-2008 05:08 PM

You should give evreyone a bit even the guy who saddles your horse.Mostguides are the wrangler and the guide so that covers one,the cook should get a few bucks for feeding ya and the owner he got paid.
I'm not saying give the cook 1000 bucks or anything but a 100 would be nice.
I have worked for outfitters and have seen a client tip the owner to split with guys and never seen a penny and I have been tipped by clients with a fist full of 100's.It's generaly better to walk up to the person hand them a tip,shake their hand and thank them for their hard work.
BBJ

RandallT 08-01-2008 06:04 PM

I am the guy who has been saving for several years to do this. However, I am budgeting a tip. Just not experienced, so I didn't want to be the guy who "insulted" a hard working guide and cook. Thanks for the responses.

I suppose if the owner is also guiding then he is working that much harder so he would deserve the same tip any other guide would. I will start and 10% and adjust according to efforts etc. My guess is from references that 15%+ will be in line. Also good to get idea on how much to tip the cook.

Colorado Bob 08-01-2008 06:05 PM

Good question.I've only been on a couple outfitted hunts. One was in South Africa----I gave the maids, cooks & general help-----$20 each at the start of the hunt. You thought I gave them the key to the bank-----Best service ever. The maid even ironed my tee shirts.The guide was the owner of the outfit-----I didn't tip him, he owns the place----I figured he got paid in the coast of the hunt.

My moose hunt in WY. I tipped the wrangler $200.The cook was part owner & he wasdeer hunting with his sons& my guide was againpart owner---I figuredthey got paid in the cost of the hunt. Seems to have worked, he's still a friend. I did give him some of the moose meat. He's put me in for a NM elk hunt, but we didn't draw.

I don't like tipping owners. Hired help is a different story.If they were hired help---$100 cook, $200 wrangler if there is 1----if 2 $100 each. Guide I would be looking at $300. CB

salukipv1 08-01-2008 08:49 PM

I've yet to have a guide work his a$$ off for me, some worked harder than others, and I've been on some good hunts.

I know getting a trophy isn't suppose to influence the tip, but IMO it does. 10% I've heard is the norm but tipping someone $500 for a week long hunt without much to see of it doesn't make sense to me.

I think if you have a good guide, good success, good hunt, 10% would be a good tip. Really for me there's no set scale etc...everytime I've ever asked an outfitter this ? the same answer comes up, I've been tipped nothing, ive been tipped $5 grand, never really believing the high tips.....

Really itll come down to your requirements.

Btw don't forget you should tip the cook, horse wrangler, hands etc....

woodsnwater 08-01-2008 09:27 PM

I'm a guide here in Wyoming and have been for the last 3 years. I work my butt off for my hunters making sure they have a good time, and tag an animal they're proud of. $500 is the largest tip I've ever gotten. And it only happened once. From my point of view, I'm getting paid to hunt! I love the relationships that are formed in the field, and the memories that are taken away from them are priceless. I go in expecting nothing,(got that once too), but really do appreciate whatever I get. I count it as a privilege to be spending your week of vacation with you in pursuit of your trophy. In my opinion if someone is going to get all wrapped up in the tip and the amount, then I'm sorry but that guys heart really isn't into what he's doing.
I'm just a guy thankful for all the Lord has provided!

n.florida hunter 08-01-2008 09:37 PM

Here is a question that I have. I am planning a hunt in Alabama with part time guides. With this all that they are going to be doing is taking myself and my wife to the stands and picking us up. I don't think that a 500 hundred dollar tip is all that needed. Don't jump on me for that but am I the only one that feels this way?