Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

Tipping?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Tipping?

Just booked my 1st black bear hunt,for next May.I have neverbeen on any kind of guided hunt,what is the normal rate for tipping your guide and/or camp cook?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Tipping?

I don't know what's "standard", but when I've been on guided hunts, I've tipped about 15-20% of the base price.

Of course, I haven't been on any high-dollar hunts where 15% would be in the hundreds of dollars. I can't afford that kind of stuff.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Being a cook and occasional guide, I'll tell you tips are greatly appreciated. If the food is good and the guide works his butt off for you, give what you can afford. It'sa great compliment and shows your appreciation.$50for the cook and $100 for the guide is probably average but many people don't tip at all, so anything is nice.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Spike

I normally tip $75 for below average hunts, $100-$125 for good & $125-300 for excellent.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM

I BEEN GOING TO THE SAME PLACE FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND WILL BE GOING BACK THIS YEAR, I GIVE HIM AND HIS WIFE 100.00, PLUS I ALWAYS BRING THEM STUFF FROM THE STATES THAT IS EITHER CHEEPER OR THEY CANT GET IT UP THERE
Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

10 - 15% is standard. Anything over that is greatly appreciated too. If you have a cook you'll need to tip him/her too.
I've guided for a lot of folks, some tip some don't, even after I busted my tail for them.
Jamiebuck makes a good point of taking them something that is not normally found in their area. I've had hunters bring me smoked trout, knives, shirts, cigars etc. Not a bad idea to start the hunt off with, that way he knows he's working for a thoughtful person.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

10 - 15% is standard. Anything over that is greatly appreciated too. If you have a cook you'll need to tip him/her too.
I've guided for a lot of folks, some tip some don't, even after I busted my tail for them.
Jamiebuck makes a good point of taking them something that is not normally found in their area. I've had hunters bring me smoked trout, knives, shirts, cigars etc. Not a bad idea to start the hunt off with, that way he knows he's working for a thoughtful person.
Agreed
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

10 - 15% is probably average, but that number can increase or decrease depending on a ton of variables you will see once you get there. For instance, you are talking bear hunt so has the guide been baiting for a few weeks in advance to lure those bruins in? Just what does the guide do after you make the shot? How well does he take care of the meat to make sure it's good for your trip home? Do you have cold cereal or hot eggs and bacon every morning? etc... you can judge for yourself what you think when you get there but that 10 - 15 number is a good baseline.

Good luck on your hunt
Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Since your not going until may, why not start asking the above questions (about meat preservation, food lists, baiting, etc) to see what will be done for you and to what extent. from there, ask yourself 'if i were the one doing this for hunter joe and he's paying me X$, what would I like?'

If you think your hard work is only worth $10, thats your answer. But if you think you'd be worth $1000, there ya go.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: Tipping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.