Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Nosler Partition vs. Trophy bonded >

Nosler Partition vs. Trophy bonded

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Nosler Partition vs. Trophy bonded

Old 02-25-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Nosler Partition vs. Trophy bonded

Which one is better for big game out of a 30-06? 180 gr
Old 02-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nosler Partition vs. Trophy bonded

The answer is which ever you rifle likes the best. Both are good bullets & preform well. FYI---I shoot plain jane 180 grain " Core-lokts" , " Power-Points" & Hornady " Spire-Points" out of my 30/06. Never had a problem with any elk, mulie, Mtn Goat, Bighorn sheep, black bear or antelope I taken here in Colorado over 25 years of using them. Plan on using the Hornady" Spire-Point" if I ever get drawn for a moose tag !
Old 02-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are very very good bullets, but they are very expensive. Nosler Partitions are very good bullets, and are less expensive, and will cleanly kill any animal in North America if you do your part.

The main difference is the Bear Claw will retain more weight than the Nosler Partition. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:31 AM

Either will work fine. The Nosler will give a little better penetration. The Trophy Bonded mushrooms and the large frontal area of the mushroom will keep it from penetrating as far as the partition.
I prefer the Nosler because I like to have an exit hole in the animal as well.
If you are one of the expend all the energy in the animal folks then use the Trophy Bonded.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on your rifle. The on game performance is going to be great from both bullets but in my old 06 partitions were more accurate so I prefered them. Try em both and see which shoots better.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:08 PM

Both are excellent bullets. The Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are more expensive, but will outperform the Partition on the toughest of game. IMO the Partition will not outpenetrate the Bear Claw. The front section of the Partition is made to open rather quickly until it reaches the " partition" and expansion is stopped. The Bear Claw has a bonded core which keeps it from seperating. When encountering extreme conditions, the partition may only retain 50-70% of its weight. The Bear Claw will normally retain 90-95% of its weight. Weight retention increases penetration. I also think the Partition mushrooms at least as much as the Bear Claw if not more. If you look at the bullet selection most hunters in Africa(extreme conditions) use, not counting solids, a majority of them use the A-Frame, X-Bullet or the Bear Claw. For game that you will encounter in North America, I think the Partition would be a better choice because they are usually fairly accurate, open up quickly and penetrate very well.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:07 AM

My experience has been that they are both excellant bullet designs,the parition will expand in the front and that will fold back and be lost while the back section plows thru,the bear claw will mushroom and expand and continue expanded and not penetrate as far at a given velocity as the nosler and either penetrate fully or stop.More resistance to the larger diameter bear claw but a larger wound channel.I prefer noslers cause they' re cheaper and do a great job on anything I hunt in this country.

woods