Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Nosler Partition vs Nosler Ballistic Tip >

Nosler Partition vs Nosler Ballistic Tip

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nosler Partition vs Nosler Ballistic Tip

Old 10-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Spike

Default Nosler Partition vs Nosler Ballistic Tip

I' ve been using a WHBY 300 mag 180 grain Nosler Partition for the last 5 years on Whitetails and Mule deer and I am happy with the results. Because of the high cost (I do not reload) I would like to switch to Nosler Ballistic Tip which I can get for at much lower cost ($17.00 less per box). Does anyone have any experience with the Ballistic Tip that they can please share with me. My shots have all ranged from 200 to 400 yards on both species.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:08 PM

Default RE: Nosler Partition vs Nosler Ballistic Tip

I hunt back east with a 25-06, using 100grain balistic tips. I am extremly impressed with their performence. I have had a 180lb deer drop when shot in the lungs. I also had a small doe drop from a gut shot. Everything behind the diafram looked as if it had gone through a blender.

I couldn' t find any balistic tips when i reloaded this year, so I had to go with the Partitions. I shot a small buck at 70 yards, and was not impressed with the results. Granted, I still got the deer. I hit the guts, and nicked a lung, and the deer droped after going 100 yards. I believe the deer would have dropped in its tracks if I had a balistic tip.

I think you will be impressed with the Balistic Tip.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I use for deer (mulies & wt) is Ballistic Tips and extremely pleased with their results. Given the range they will perform very nicely for your application, since some prefer other bullets for close range shot opps(like 0-100 yards) to BTs.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Each to his own, but you couldn' t give me a box of ballistic tips.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Spike

[Each to his own, but you couldn' t give me a box of ballistic tips. ]

Timbercruiser,I would like to know why please.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted with the Ballistic Tips for years and never had a single problem with them despite all the horror stories I' ve heard about them. Always had complete pass throughs and never had a deer go more than 75 yards with the same results as tabbysaid. Looked like the enternals had been run through a blender. Last year I switched to the Hornady SST' s because the guy that was loading the ballistic tips for me sold all of his equipment and I couldn' t find a factory loaded BT that would group. I gave the Hornady Custom SST' s a try and the groups were right there with the handloads. So far I' ve only killed one deer with the SST' s and the performance was just as good as the BT' s. By the way, I' m shooting a .270 Remington.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have killed over thirty head of big game with ballistic tips with no bullet failures.I have killed five elk and two moose with the 180gr ballistic tip out of my 300ultramag so you should have no problems with the much smaller deer with your weatherbies slightly reduced velocity.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve used ballistics tips for years. The only place I' ve run into problems is the smaller calibers like the .243. The small calibers don' t seem to have enough umph to get them in the deer before they do their thing. I' ve killed tons of deer with ballistic tips out of my 7mm mag. One reason I use it is the accuracy. I practice out to 400 yards with excellent results. I reload and simply can' t find another bullet as accurate as the nosler ballistic tip.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:53 AM

Ballistic tips in 150 grain out of my 7mm seem to work fine for me on deer. I' ve found them to be pretty consistent and accurate. If I' m hunting larger animals like elk... I go with the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded in 175 grain.