Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Quality Binoculars

Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Spike

Default Quality Binoculars

I need some feedback. I'm looking at Steiner Merlins or Predators, both seem to be good quality. Does anyone have any advice on binoculars.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Default RE: Quality Binoculars

ORIGINAL: rdb1125

Does anyone have any advice on binoculars.
Yeah, spend as much as you can possibly afford. It seems in the optics world the more expensive they are the better quality they are.

Steiner's are decent quality from what I can tell. I feel that they are a little overpriced for the quality you recieve. I've looked through several binos that equal the quality of Steiner for less money. Check into Leupold Wind rivers, to my eyes they are better than steiner's for less money.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

You'll find that most decent quality bino's are basically clear and your eyes kinda self adjust. The way to seperate them is to look through one, then the other, in lower light conditions.Light gathering capabilities aregenerally obvious. Same with scopes. For clarity, compare by reading writing at a distance and it should be obvious. Then there is waranty and reliability. I started a 10 day moose hunt with a pair of expensive bino's that fogged on the inside the first day....sucked, and the guy I bought them from was too far away to punch. I do like the Leupold and Zeiss. Optimum on your eye light retention should be the power goes into the objective 5 times..... like 8x40, and with better optics, you can fudge on this some. The big thing now is to have bino's that include a rangefinder and I think Leupold is the most reasonable...have friends that use them hard and like them. I spent the big bucks on the Leica Geovids, but was a tax write off for being a Professional Guide and they also offer Guides a discount.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Best advice.....don't look through a pair that you can't afford!!!
Because they will ruin you and you will find a way to afford them. Then your wife finds out that you spent more on them than you did her for Christmas and you get.......sorry. Got sidetracked!

I thought my nikon monarchs were as good as a man could possibly ever need and used them for years without remorse. Buddy of mine bought a pair of Swarovski's. That is the basis of my opening remark...beware when/if someone says "here, look through these and tell me what you think?" Next thing you know....you are looking at your old ones like an ugly girlfriend....that is about to be replaced!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 AM

I asked about binocks on here last summer for a friend who wanted the best. He took the advice and bought swarovski's at $1700 He brought them up from florida and it took me weeks to get over the crush I had on them .Like red said my leupolds and nikons are like a girl I never want to be seen with.I like to play hold'em 3 days a week [$5 and $10 buyins]last year I bought 17 dimonds for the wife with the winnings,this year I told her I was buying a new scope with my winnings .I didn't tell her it cost $2,000 ,after looking though it ,my leupolds scopesare looking like that chick we mentioned earlier.

[/align]
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Im a firm believer in good optics, esp bino's. I absolutely love my Leica's. I will not go back to a avg glass now after being spoiled. Swarovski are just as good.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rdb1125

I need some feedback. I'm looking at Steiner Merlins or Predators, both seem to be good quality. Does anyone have any advice on binoculars.
Opinions are like [the openings to rectal cavities]: everybody's got one, but the one that matters most is yours!

Find a place with the most pairs available in one place, & look through 'em all, outside if you can. Then pick the best one you can afford. You can shop online, & I highly recommend doing so. But you should notchoose a pair of binoculars online: you've got to let your own eyes choose for you! Once you've decided which pair you want, check out Camerlandny, SWFA, Natchezss, OpticsPlanet, Bear Basin,et al., to find the best deal.

I'd highly recommend going with better glass versus higher magnification. Make sure the eyecups work for you, especially if you're an eyeglass wearer. Spend as much time as you can looking through them, to see if any of them make your eyes tired.

Make sure the weight matches with your kind of hunting: lots of hiking doesn't jive well with ultra heavy binocs. Make sure the quality matches your hunting: tree stands in a whitetail forest won't demand the same level of glass as would glassing the canyons out west.

I'd also considerone of those elastic harness "bras": in addition to making you look incredibly sexy, they hold the binocs right where you need 'em, & they take the strain off your neck.

FWIW, I when I was choosing binocs for my 1st elk hunt out West, I went the the Zeiss 8x42 FL's. They were stupid-expensive, but I got a SHOT-show demo pair for about 1/3 off. I knew I'd be looking through the binocs all day, and through the scope for but a few seconds. I'm very pleased with my choice.

If you'd like more opinions, tell us a little more 'bout how you'll be using 'em.

FC
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

steiners I've looked through never really liked, not sure about the other brand, I bought some Pentax dcf sp 10x43 a few years back, everyone ive ever heard who has used them or looked throught hem love em, me included! fo rthe money $500 or so you can't beat them. Even every review online etc...ive seen nothing but 4 stars, ie 4 of 4 etc....

I think you can't touch their quality in anothe rbrand less you look at $1000+ brands.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

steiners I've looked through never really liked, not sure about the other brand, I bought some Pentax dcf sp 10x43 a few years back, everyone ive ever heard who has used them or looked throught hem love em, me included! fo rthe money $500 or so you can't beat them. Even every review online etc...ive seen nothing but 4 stars, ie 4 of 4 etc....

I think you can't touch their quality in anothe rbrand less you look at $1000+ brands.
I agree they aren't to shabby in their class. However I think the Minox HG's are actually better and in the same price range asthe SP's. Wasn'tto long ago you mentioned eye strain with your SP's Now best under a G? I owned two pair of SP's;the 8's were good but the 10's not so much. Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere now..just me though.

I agree with Folically Challenged, you need to try/compare them to find what is the best for your eyes and budget. I also a agree that unless your willing to pay the price don't look! It's how i ended up buying Swarovski EL's[]. I am really glad I bought them, however the visa statement hurt. It hurt even more when the wife found out how much I spent and then she got her shopping trip on the same visa number.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Like what was posted before, spend as much as you can. I own a pair of Steiner Military Marine and I love them, there are better quality binos out there, but I didn't have the extra cash and sometimes you can't argue with a sale..

But if I had all the cash in the world, I'd pick up the new Leica Geovid BFR binos with range finder..

Quick Reply: Quality Binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.