Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk hunt 2008

Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Colorado Elk hunt 2008

I am going onmy firstelk hunt in Colorado on the second season. I am going to be hunting GMU 711. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to hunt, gear needed, will a call help etc.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado Elk hunt 2008

Going guided or un guided? If unguided, whats yourplans?? If guided the guide will have alot of the gear you will need.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 PM

I live, hunt, and guide in NM,and yes do get a call, we use calls a lot, in sept/mid-oct mostly, although we will use them in nov and decas well. sept/mid-oct weuse the calls for calling the elk to us,and in nov-dec we mostly use the calls for stopping elk to buy us more time for a shot.Wehave and use a lot of calls allI like to use is Primos for I have had the best luck with them, but what ever you end up getting get them soonand learn how to use them. Some calls are easy, some are not it just takes time and get a CDand/or DVDwith them they really dohelp.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM

I am going un-guided, but I will be going with my unckle who has been going for afew years. He is pretty familure with the area so Iam sure I will be in good hands. I was just checking to see if anyone has hunted the GMUalot and has any suggestions for finding the elk.

Thank you for the tip on the call. I am assuming thatwill be a cow call orshouldI be looking for a bugle?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Just go straight across the creek from Rico and shoot your elk. It's unit 71.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 AM

I use cow calls and a bugle here are some of the call I use. I like the Primos Hyer Lip single and the double, the double is great if the elk are way out there, but it'a a littlie harder to use, the single is easyer to use and isgood when they coming in. The Hoochie Mama is good for some elk,butso many people use them(here anyway) I thinkthat some bullsget used to it.I like the Bull Horn to it's easy to use and sounds/works great.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 AM

silvertip-co
I was unable to pull up the web site. If I buy a bull tag (assumingI don't get drawn for a cow) in GMU 711 will I be able to hunt GMU 71 without buying another tag or will I have to buy a special permit or another tag to hunt the other GMU. I am also drawing for a mulie this year, but I have always heard you will not get drawn in the first year you submitt for draw.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

You should read the book or the book online. As I recall 71 and 711 are on the same tag.

Also try north of Rico afew miles and EAST of the highway. I dont recall the name of the dirt road or valley. Theres a horse trailer large parking area right where that valley takes off toward tjhe east.Hiway thru Rico runs north and south but Iforget the number. Its been three yrs since I lived worked and hunted near there.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 PM

I will state this again, read-read -read. www.elkcamp.com
the books are cheap and small, they will clearify alot. Living here in Colorado hunting many years I still read, it keeps me out of trouble in these mountains.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....I am going un-guided, but I will be going with my unckle who has been going for afew years. He is pretty familure with the area so Iam sure I will be in good hands. I was just checking to see if anyone has hunted the GMUalot and has any suggestions for finding the elk....
You are second guessing your host. Go get the info straight from the one that will be bringing you and running the show. Nothing you get here will beat the specifics of what he can provide. Don't get confused.

Quick Reply: Colorado Elk hunt 2008

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.