Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bear defense shotgun??? SxS shorty? >

Bear defense shotgun??? SxS shorty?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear defense shotgun??? SxS shorty?

Old 02-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear defense shotgun??? SxS shorty?

I didn' t mean to jump all over you akhunter, after re-reading my reply it kinda seems like I have, and I apologize, really I just wanted to point out why a shotgun would be a good choice. I agree however, even at close ranges the .458Lott' s going to bite a bit harder than a 12ga, as long as you make contact, one thing to consider also though, is how hard your .458 bites on your end...I know that anyone can be trained to minimize recoil effects, but there' s no comparison to how much a .458 would rock anyone compared to a 12ga with a powerhouse slug even.

Basically, I was curious about what guys would carry in bear woods when they aren' t hunting bear, if I' m already carrying a deer rifle, I don' t want another 8.5# gun, even the extra 6# would be excessive, but when camping, hiking, or canoeing, it seems that a SxS coach would be a better option, minimize weight and space, without sacrificing too much power.

BTW, I forgot somehow to mention that my shorty cost $275 brand new, while my .416rigby cost me right around $1100, pretty big bite!!
Old 02-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear defense shotgun??? SxS shorty?

To clearify my post, I said
" Not much if anything has more energy and raw knock down power than a 12ga slug at close range."

And I stand by that. Sure a great big elephant rifle has more energy at close range but that constitutes as " not much" , because those are about the only thing that does have more energy at close range. Anything much bigger than what you got, would almost be to heavy to pack around.

The shotgun throws a huge chunk of lead that everyone can afford and you can get ammo for it everywhere. To me, that' s very important.

Old 02-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]