Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ODDS ON MAINE MOOSE DRAW

Old 01-29-2003, 07:39 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default ODDS ON MAINE MOOSE DRAW

I just read where there was 22,009 nonresidents applications for the 2002 moose draw.Only 300 was available.There was 63,266 residents that had app for the 2,700 permits that was alloted to them. Now I know what they mean when they say,your are lucky if you draw.Guess I will still app.It makes it hard to plan a hunting trip somewhere else.What if you get drawed to hunt in Maine and you have already been drawed to hunt in another state. car

Old 01-31-2003, 06:01 AM

Default RE: ODDS ON MAINE MOOSE DRAW

I've got an account set up in the event I get drawn for a moose permit. A lot of guys don't realize what a spur of the moment deal the Maine moose hunt is! If You get drawn, You have to buy the big game license right away just to get the moose license, and I believe the moose license is $475.00 for a non-resident. And then You have to scramble to get a guide for the fall, because the non's have to use a guide to hunt moose, and You more than likely won't get picked for your first choice areas. You have a lot of planning to do from the time You get picked (beginning of June) til the season opens. If You do get picked, and You can't do the hunt that year because of previous plans and you back out, you can't apply again for 2 years and you lose all your preference points. I usually have a hunt scheduled every year, and if I get picked for a moose tag, I'll do both hunts, and that is why I have a special "moose tag" savings account set up.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:06 PM

i didn't see that part about non-residents being required to have a guide to hunt moose in maine , i have applied for several years now , did they just slip that reg in there ? could you provide the link where it says so? It may be a good idea to get a guide anyway , like you said you will probably get an area that you are not familiar with .

Brunke's Law : You have to give a little to get a little
Old 02-03-2003, 04:07 PM

Non-residents do NOT have to use a guide in Maine to hunt big game.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:23 AM

Sorry guys, my mistake! You don't have to use the services of a guide if a non-resident hunter in Maine. Got confused with another hunt I was checking into in another location. Thanks for clarifying that, Portage!
Old 02-04-2003, 05:31 PM

snoball57

Just trying to clear up misinformation. No offense intended.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:15 PM

None taken, Portage! Glad You caught my brain fart before I got anyone else confused! Thanks again, and good hunting!