Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Maine Moose

Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maine Moose

Im applying for a maine moose permit for the upcoming fall. What zones would you all recommend? I called the maine fish and game and they said all zones have a 80-90% success rate, is this true?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maine Moose

That sounds about right....The hard part in Maine moose hunting is drawing the tag..

Your odds of drawing are about 1 in 80.... I applied for about 20 years and finally gave up... Of course you can't draw unless you apply... Good luck...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 PM
car
Typical Buck

I've app for 6 years now without drawing a tag.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been applying for a long time and haven't drawn a tag either but I keep on trying to get one of them. Some people put in thier sons name as well and bingo the son gets the tag right off. It is a matter of luck I guess just keep trying and hoping that you have some luck on your side. I think zone 19 is the hardest to hunt in but they are there as well. Just my opion that 19 is the hardest of the zones to hunt in as alot have found out as well. Good Luck on getting drawn..
Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Two years ago my brother-in-law and I put in for the Maine moose hunt. First year ever and he got drawn. We hunted in the northeast part of the state near a town called Granby. We found a guy with a cabin for rent and the rest was history.

We could not have lucked out any better. This cabin sat on thousands and thousands of acres owned by "the conservancy" and anyone who owned a cabin on the land had access to hunt it. Most beautiful country I have ever seen. We hunted hard for three days, killing on the third day a bull moose field dressed weighed 650 lbs. Both of us shot it. He shot first and as it ran off I dropped it with a high shoulder shot. Once of a lifetime hunt for sure. Tasted great also.

Success rate was VERY high in the area as the check stations were constantly full. Good luck.

Scott
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I just put in for the drawing, didn't get my Oryx in New Mexico.

Jake
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 AM

njbuck22

I don 't know what zoneyou put in for --but it sound right any zone in northern Maine is good --- the hard part is finding someone you can go with for a good price and who konw thw area you are going to hunting in. if you get pick in the drawing on June 12 at kittery Trading post and need some help get in touch, i'll see if i can help
Old 04-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have been three times, i hvant been drawn myself but my mother in 85 my grandfather in 93 and my sister in 99. we have been to ft. kent and we shot ine in moosehead and when my mother shot hers i was just a couple years old but they were over to eustis and i cant see where it matters what zone you are chosen for. if you patiaint and do some calling theres no reason to come home empty handed. if i ever get drawn ill have to shoot one over 1000lbs cuz if i dont ill never hear the end of it from my little sister shooting a bigger bull then me!

also i hvae freinds that run sporting camps that are in zones 8, 13, 14, and 17. if anyone is lucky enough to get drawn i can give you the #'s. great camps and real reasonably priced! good luck! i cant wait to NOT see my name in the paper again this year
Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I put my name in each year. If I accumulate enough points I might be able to get a tag when I retire! Actually, the odds are not that bad. I met a fellow hunter who got a non-resident tag the first year he applied. Chances of winning are much better than the PowerBall!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

non res. actually seem to have a better chance then a residant

Quick Reply: Maine Moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.