Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big game knife.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Big game knife.

So my dog the other day tore into my DITY bag and stole my knife, chewed the handle off. I was pissed, but I lost it when I found out that Camillus had closed their doors and been auctioned off. This knife hands down is the best guttin knife I have ever had in 35 years, has a blaze orange handle stainless blade and the guthook has a big opening so it doesn't clog and choke with hair. They also had a kit that had a hatchet with an orange handle, the price was cheep compared to about anybody. I think all theknife manufacture out therenever gutted a deer or elk, making handles camo or black is silly, drop it and can never find them or making them out of material that gets slippery with the slightest blood or waterGet them Camilluswhile they last guys cause when they are gone they are gone. Mean while the search is on fora WRO018 orange handle guttin knife.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Big game knife.

Crimedog

If you have no luck, takelook at www.grohmannknives.com They do cusotmize their models and will make you one of their models with any knife handle material you provide them or they may have what you want in stock. Unfortunately they don't have stock orange handles. They have a model 4 with a gut hook, I don't have a gut hook on my Grohmanns but love the Grohmanns that I have (and use). I have a number 3 in stag and number 4 in water buffalo. Great knives for the cost and not made in Asia, hand made by a familly business in Pictou Nova Scotia..

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are in luck. Try the Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter. Orange sure grip handle and D2 steel. Knives don't get better than the Knives of Alaska. http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalog/prod_display.aspx?from=Fixed%20Blade%20Knives& cat=Trekker%20Series

I own about six of their knives so I am speaking from experience.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Unless your dog crunched the steel blade just get a new handle put on...you mighteven be able to do it your self and then you have the knowledge of having a great knife and your own added touch.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks James, do you know if the handle is textured so it doesn't get slick as goose**** with blood or maybe rubberized? (SUREGRIP???) Never mind I enlarger the picture and it has a textured handle, thanks it's exactly what I want and need. It's nice they recognize the lost knife problem and listen to hunters, gutting deer after tracking two hours past sunset by fading maglight batteries is difficult without loosing your knife and having to use your Cousins butterknife. They even have a folder with orange handle and gut hook, getting that one too. James thank you, you da MAN.

I will replace the handle but where do I find moldable orange rubber?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you will love the KOA knives. D2 is a little harder to resharpen but it holds an adge really well. I just looked at the Elk Hunter again today at Sportsmans Warehouse. I have the Bushman, two Cub Bear, The Alpha Wolf, the Muskrat Skinner and the Alaskan Trailmaster Camp/Trail knife. Still looking at the Magnum Boar Hunter.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

crimedog:

I own the Knives of alaska triple combo on stag horn. The bone has a lot of texture, so blood does not make it slip. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM

WOW those are real good looking knives. My gerber serves me well but if I ever look into getting a new one those look great.