Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Got my spike elk (w/ pics) >

Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

For those who don't know, Washington on the East Side of the state, elk hunting is for spike bulls only. With a success rate of around 5%, getting one is always a challange. I feel very fortunate to get one and here's my story...

"Ok Erik, I'm taking the shot." I warned over the radio. Slowly I exhaled 1/2 a breath as my crosshairs settled behind the shoulder about 3/4 of the way up on the bedded elk. Slowly I squeezed the trigger as I lay prone with my rifle over my pack in the sage and dust of the Colockum hillside. But maybe I should start at the beginning...

Opening day of elk season found our clan in the same location we've been starting our elk season for the last 30 years. One of my Brother-in-laws heads up "Nasty Canyon", aptly named for it's steepness and the lack of volunteers that willingly ascend it's rocky slopes. Another splits off to hike "Long Canyon" where, nearly every year he shoots his elk. My wife and I head up to my sitting rock to wait for the din of approaching gunfire that signals the beginning of the running of the elk.

Soon after first light I spot the heard, some 200 strong cresting over the ridge headed toward Nasty canyon. "Here they come Erik, and there's at least a few legal spikes." I state, trying to be subtle about the 12+ spikes I see mixed in with the herd. Soon thereafter we hear him shoot and then on the radio that he has one down. Excitement wells inside me as I think about the pack job that is waiting for us all before the end of the day. Reports from our "eye in the sky" tell us the elk are headed over to the Long canyon where Mark is waiting.

"Nissa, there's plenty of legal bulls in the herd, you should bust your hump and get up Long canyon with Mark, I'm sure he won't mind." I tell her. After a second prompting she starts her trek to intercept them alongside her oldest brother. Arriving just in time, both her and Mark are soon firing and announce they both have shot a bull. "Ok," I think to myself "we have 3 down now and there are still others in our party that might get a shot". Soon after we hear Shane has taken a shot at a spike too. Wow, that means we might have 4 bulls to pack out today and it's only 9 am. My back and knees suddenly start to ache as images of dragging and packing elk fill my mind.

Hoping, waiting to see how the dust settles, I sit transfixed as to what has transpired. I don't ever remember getting that many spikes on opening day and the logistics of how this will play out race through my head. Also, I’m ashamed to say, but I'm hoping the animals will come my way so we can add one more to the list of pack jobs.

Time passes and the elk have left, heading up toward the reserve with a few less bulls with them. Then the bad news comes over the air, Nissa's elk has been lost, running away before she could finish it off and another hunter has shot it and claimed it. My heart drops at the thought of her losing her first ever bull. Next, Shane relates a similar story, the one he shot has also been finished off and claimed by another. Well, at least that means we can take care of the two animals that are down and still have enough stamina left to continue the hunt the rest of the week.

Now Erik is on the radio, telling us there is another bull near him that is wounded but still alive. Someone should come finish him off before he's found by a hunter not of our clan. Knowing there is nothing I can do for my spouse, and with the opportunity to put meat in our very empty freezer, I race to the bottom of my draw and up the grassy hill. It's warm for elk season and soon I'm stopped, striping off layers as I wipe the sweat from my brow. 15 minutes later I manage to crest the ridge and see the elk lying near where Erik is with his bull. The elk is hurt, shot through the right front shoulder bone but still with his head up. Working my way up the ridge line opposite the bull, I finally get across the canyon from him and set up for the shot. It's times like this the practice of shooting my 7mm Rem Mag pays off. As I range the bull, my rangefinder flashes BATT, and refuses to read. Talk about bad timing. Thankfully the bull is lying there unaware so there is no hurry. I dig around in my pack for my spare battery and finally get a reading on him, 322 yards.

Close enough. Figuring drop to be around 8 inches I line up the shot, after warning Erik I was about to commence firing. "Boom!".."Whop!", hit. The bull is looking around now and he felt that one, but he still has his head up. Squeezing the trigger slowly and carefully, I send another round, "Boom!"..."Whop!" hit again, and that's the one through the heart as he rears up and starts rolling down the hill.

A feeling of extreme satisfaction seeps through me knowing my family will have plenty of meat this year, and elk meat, the best meat on Earth at that. As I watch to make sure the bull isn't moving, I come back down from my hunter's high and realize there are other hunters around that would love to tag my bull so I quickly make my way down to the bottom then back up the rocky hillside to where my bull lies dead. While tagging my bull, Erik comes over for handshakes and to admire the elk, then we work our way back across the knoll to admire his elk.

Sorry for the loss of my wife's bull but grateful for the chance to harvest this bull that was left by a lazy hunter, my season came to a close. Now, where's that Ibuprofen, my knees are starting to ache again...

Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

Nice bull... why is it that you may only shoot spikes? I am just curious.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just the regulations on this side of the state. Spike only. The herd is only about 4,000 or so and so many hunters, they only give out special tags for cows or any bull by drawing. So, 10 years and still no special permit for me, thus over-the-counter spike tags only.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Great lookin spike, love the mass he has already. Good story too. Congrats
Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Great story, sounds like stiff competition. Is it legal in Washington to use radios for communication while hunting? Here we can't use them or cell phones to talk anything about hunting while we are hunting.

Good luck on drawing a bull tag in the future.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the bull. Them spikes are very tasty. Your story is great. I don't know how patient I could be when another hunter claims an animal I shot. Your wife got the short end of the stick, but there is always next year.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 AM

Awesome job broseph nice score.. That sucker looks like he would have been a big one when he got older if he kept in the nutrition.. Not all eastern washington is spike only, just the parts that house a lot of elk are haha
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 AM

oh yea scroll through Big Game hunting and look for "clinty poo did it again" That is the pics and story of my mulie man!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It almost sounds more like a military operation than a hunt. You referred to your "eye in the sky" did you have an airplane circling overhead or something? I also thought that in most states it was illegal to use radios to discuss hunting tactics and animal locations.

Also interesting how the animals that your party shot and wounded were "lost" to another hunter, butthe animal that you finished offhad been wounded by a "lazy hunter".

The whole scenario sounds like a mad house to me. Maybe it isn't that bad but I just picture bullets whizzing through the air and a duck and run scenario to keep from being shot by another hunter!

Congratulations though.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a circus.Glad you got yours,sound like the old days down in Gardnier MT when all you needed was atag and a knife.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.