Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt? >

Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?

My 2 hunting buddies and I are researching a trip to the western US (most likely Wyoming) to go mule deer hunting. I'll be back in MI for whitetail hunting in a couple days, so we will have our "meeting of the minds" to go over everything.

It seems that rifle caliber has been discussed at length, so I don't want to go into that; I'll be using a Remington 270 Win. with quality bonded ammo. What I'm looking for is how guys outfit their rifles and what they carry, in general? I'm not as much a veteran deer hunter as many guys (been hunting for 7 yrs. now) but I've been successful and take hunting/shooting seriously (as far as preparation and practice goes). I've never been in a high country, long distance shot (200+ yds.) hunting situation before so I'm just trying to get my head around it.

Examples of items I'm looking for comment on is:

- shooting sticks, bipod, or nothing? (I have nothing)
- scope; 3-9x40 good enough? (I have a Bushnell Banner)
- range finder and/or other optics? (I have a compact pair of freebie binocs)
- backpack style sling, standard sling, or pack mount? (I have std. sling)

I know specific terrain will dictate many things that will be used and carried, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of different equipment involved than what would be used in midwest forests and fields if anyone is willing to comment.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Spike

Default RE: Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?

Your rifle & scope will be fine. Expect shots from as close as you do at home to 300-400 yards.
A good 130g 270 bullet should be able to aim dead on out to 300 yards. and it will be still in the kill zone.

I have not used shooting sticks. I carry enough stuff, I don't need the extra weight. But for anything over 50 yards or so, I sit down or lay the rifle over my pack. No shooting offhand at longer distances.

A rangefinder may be helpful since you are not familiar with the vastness of west. People really misjudge distances out here.

You will use your optics a lot. Bring a pair that you can use a lot comfortably. Personally, the compact binocs are not comfotable for me to use for long periods of time. They discourage me from really glassing. The older I get the more I depend on goot optics.

I carry a day pack. Knife, sharping stone, water, lunch, extra bullets, space blanket, matches, a length of cord or rope, someplastic gloves to wear during gutting,Room to put my jacket and gloves in as the day warms up. I do like and use the Binocular harnesses vs just hanging around my neck.

You need clothing for 70* bright sunny days. And you may need clothing for 15* snowy days. And it will probably need to be Hunter or Blaze Orange.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Ditto on the binocular harness. I use the Crooked Horn harness you can buy at Wally World. There are other brands available but it really makes a difference when you are doing alot of spot and stalk with binoculars. Get a good range finder. Distance is very deceiving out there.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Spike

So on the topic of optics (probably best for the Optics forum), that is something I really want to sort out. Should I be carrying binocs AND range finder AND spotting scope in addition to the scope on the rifle? These are the current POS, freebies that I have (Meade 10x25):

MSRP = ~$30

They work for short distances in bright conditions but are mostly designed for trying to get a better look at the bird at the back side of the yard on a sunny day, not serious glassing. They are worthless in low light. I know there are combo binoc/range finder units out there so I will be looking at those. While I can't go crazy budet wise, I'm willing to spend more money if I get a quality, non-China made unit that can do more than 1 job. I also potentially have a year to shop around and watch sales, so I have to time to review everything available.

These seem to be the Mercedez for a binoc/range finder combo:

Leica Geovid BRF Rangefinder Binocular 10x42

They are pricey but if I watch for sales and save up my Cabelas points, I can take the $2000+ sting out of the price. There is also a Leupold unit available.

I'm open to suggestion?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot the same gun you are going to use during my Wyoming hunt. I used Barnes X-Bullets though. I got myself a very nice 5x5 at about 120 yards. You should be able to get a shot most of the time under 200 yards.

As for optics, I also had the 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner and of course it did the job, just as well as a Swarovski.

Binocs- I had some Celestrons at the time, now I have Loopy Cascades, 10x42, and they are really nice. The Leica Geovids have caught my attention before too, but the price it just hard to justify. I have a Nikon Monarch 800 rangefinder, so between that and the binos I have about $800 in the set, thats still over $1200 cheaper then the Leicas. You could use the money you save and get a real nice spotting scope.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Spike

I have not been a big fan of the combined unit. Technology is changing so fast, There will be a better range finder out in 3-4 years. A good pair of binoculars will last a life time. Beside the combo units are so much heavier.

If you can afford it the Lieca or Swarovski are great and will last a lifetime. But if you are on a budget, Some Nikon, Burris, Leupold binos will work just fine for a few years. They are just not as clear in early and late lighting or at longer distances.

Remember, Mule Deer and Elk move most Early and very late. You want to be able to find them as they ghost through the trees.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option is the Burris or Bushnell rangefinding rifle scopes, that and a decent pair of 10 X binos will still be cheaper than those Leica's. I use a Shooter's Ridge gunpod that doubles as a hiking staff and has several attachments for a rifle rest, saw, and camera holder. Works well for me. You gun will do the trick, I'd say 140 gr premium ammo, buy several boxes loaded with bullets like the Interbond, Accubond, Partition and Barnes X. and stick with what your gun like the best. I prefer a 140 gr as an all around load for my 270 WSM so that I won't have to worry about rezeroing for a change of load. Fortunately my gun will shoot the Ballistic tip, SST and Accubond to the same point of impact at 100 yds.Hunting the high country you definitely want to keep the weight down while out in the field so take the time and decide what you really need in your daypack.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

So on the topic of optics (probably best for the Optics forum), that is something I really want to sort out. Should I be carrying binocs AND range finder AND spotting scope in addition to the scope on the rifle? These are the current POS, freebies that I have (Meade 10x25):

Those binocs will work in timberat short range in the middle of the daybut for glassing at extreme distances they are of no use. Look at Cabelas Euro binoculars ..I use them(7x42) as well as Leica Trinovids (8x42). When I purchased them new there was very little difference in price. Nowadays Leica Ultravids are 1400+ and the CAbelas binos are 700-800. Try www.cameralandny.com and ask for Doug..they have all the Major brands and occasionally he has show samples and such which can save you a lot of money. If your going with a Buddy and hunting together then you can share a spotter . Rangefinder look at a Leica CRF. It is a little more spendy then the rest but it works extremely well. As far as shooting sticks..like someone else has mentioned use your pack shooting from the prone position. Much more steady then sticks and you'll be a low silhouette to the animals. Branches and stumps work as well if they are available.

I carry a day pack. Knife, sharping stone, water, lunch, extra bullets, space blanket, matches, a length of cord or rope, someplastic gloves to wear during gutting,Room to put my jacket and gloves in as the day warms up. I do like and use the Binocular harnesses vs just hanging around my neck.

Very good advice from Painted Horse

Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Spike

Suggest you do carry shooting sticks. Stoney Points that collaspe down to about 16 in up to about 48.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM

The only Bushnell scopes I trust are the elite series, beyond that I think they are very flimsy. I would upgrade the scope before I went out west.

You'll want a good set of Binos, I prefer 10x50's. I have used the Leupold Wind river series for the last 5 years with no complaints. They are a good bino at a reasonable price, but they do not compare to leica and swarovski.

I never got into the range finder craze. I can judge yardage pretty decent. They main thing with a rifle is to be able to recognize the limit. 300 yds is a long ways. As stated before you can zero your rifle to where the drop isn't an issue out to 300, but that isn't the whole story. I suggest you find a 500 yd range and start praticing. Get the fill for how hard a 300 shot is from field positions. At the same time you fill be learning to judge range. Make mental notes as to how far 300 looks. 300 will be your target yardage. You will want to practice till your confident you can keep all your shots within the vital area.

Shooting sticks can be helpful. I must be honest though I never carry mine. I can usually always find a rest. My rest can be a tree limb, my pack, a rock, etc. Or in a pinch I can wrap my sling around my elbow and form a fairly decent free hand rest. You should go to your local army surplus store and find the field manual on army marksmanship. Read the chapters about slings and battle positions. You will be surprised how accurate you can be if you practice shooting using proper skills.

Quick Reply: Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.