HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Painted Horse
Spike

Default RE: Outfitting a rifle and yourself for a western (WY) hunt?

Your rifle & scope will be fine. Expect shots from as close as you do at home to 300-400 yards.
A good 130g 270 bullet should be able to aim dead on out to 300 yards. and it will be still in the kill zone.

I have not used shooting sticks. I carry enough stuff, I don't need the extra weight. But for anything over 50 yards or so, I sit down or lay the rifle over my pack. No shooting offhand at longer distances.

A rangefinder may be helpful since you are not familiar with the vastness of west. People really misjudge distances out here.

You will use your optics a lot. Bring a pair that you can use a lot comfortably. Personally, the compact binocs are not comfotable for me to use for long periods of time. They discourage me from really glassing. The older I get the more I depend on goot optics.

I carry a day pack. Knife, sharping stone, water, lunch, extra bullets, space blanket, matches, a length of cord or rope, someplastic gloves to wear during gutting,Room to put my jacket and gloves in as the day warms up. I do like and use the Binocular harnesses vs just hanging around my neck.

You need clothing for 70* bright sunny days. And you may need clothing for 15* snowy days. And it will probably need to be Hunter or Blaze Orange.