Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Got my spike elk (w/ pics) >

Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my spike elk (w/ pics)

way to go on the elk
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrushChimp

Sounds like elk hunting to me. Nice operation... Your hunting party does not share their meat with the whole party?
I've been elk hunting with many friends and my In-Laws, and most friends share the meat. For some reason though, my 'family' does not. Sure, we cook up the heart and liver during the season for a big feast but none of them have ever shared meat with me on the 10+ elk I've helped haul off the hills (save for a few random [readld and unwanted] packages of deer meat they had to clear out when the had too much elk meat). I did give 2 packages of backstrap steak to my nephew's friend that helped me haul out a quarter of mine since he's never got an elk nor eaten it before. Will give some to my family even though none of them hunt.

ORIGINAL: elknut1

Congrats on your elk! Here in ID that would be an illegal spike because it forks! I assume WA doesn't recognize that?

ElkNut1
In WA a 2x1 is legal. Has to branch more than an inch off the main beam to count as a point and this one measures just under that. That's why I use Zeiss optics, at 300+ yards against the yellow grass and dark brown rocks, it's pretty dang tough to pick out little things like an inch of antler when elk are moving. I've passed up legal animals in the past when I had worse optics since I couldn't be sure it was legal, until the next hunter over the hill drops it and I see it later.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Congrads on the bull! Good eating
Old 11-23-2007, 02:20 PM

I too have hunted with the orange army during rifle season south of where you are hunting in Cle Elum WA in Taneum district for many years.. we've taken all cows and spikes.. the best eating by far! Far too many hunters and a lot of hunters that shouldn't be in the woods. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people empty their semi-autos in quick succession.. IMHO if you can't hit it with the first shot, go home.

I've since moved over to bow hunting and man is that a nice change a pace.. a lot fewer hunters, better weather.. not as easy to kill an elk but then that is not my number one priority.

Nice spike, that guy is going to be a good eater!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Yeah the elk hunting by the reserve in clockum is too chaotic for me. Thats why I hunt on the otherside down below less elk but also less hunters. I did drive by the reserve onec during this past season and saw a spike stand ing on the reserve about 75 yards off the road so I shot him with my camera. I also saw a spike where I was hunting but he was to far away to take an ethical shot but there were ppl down delow me on the road leaning over the hood of their truck taking thousand yard shots which really pissed me off. Its getting hectic everywhere elk hunting. I did draw a cow tag last year though and got one in december with the malaga tag.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Yup, way too many idiots in the woods, its sad.