Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 The hunt is close, 3 days before we start the long drive >

The hunt is close, 3 days before we start the long drive

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The hunt is close, 3 days before we start the long drive

Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default The hunt is close, 3 days before we start the long drive

Well it finally has reached that time. It's been a long ten months of waiting.We leave next Monday to start driving to Chadron, Nebraska,a LONG way from SC. Three of us are driving outand two flying out on Friday tostart the deer hunt on theseason opener on Saturday. It looks like my vintage Ruger No.3 in 30/40 Krag will bethe chosen riflefor a buffalo and muledeer. I'll be shooting some handloaded 180 grn. soft points. The outfitter recommends a head shot on the buffalo to anchor it and keep it from wandering down into a deep coulee to expire from a lung shot. Therefore I'll have to go with the scoped rifle instead of one of my old iron sighted 45-70s. My eyes just aint that good anymore to trust themon that shotat 100yds. or more. A .223 will go along for varmints. Only my wife and I are driving back so we're planning on taking the scenic route back via Colorado where I'm wanting to check out the area that I've been saving preference points up for a muzzleloader elk tag. Then down to Texas to see the Palo Duro Canyon, then back home. I've been waiting for years to retire to make this trip so I'm anxiously looking forward to the adventure. I just hope old Murphy stays at home, but I doubt it, so I'm trying to plan for the unforseen. I'll update as things progress.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The hunt is close

Sounds like a good time. I don't mind the long drives at all if I can listen to some audio books along the way.

Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like fun....update us afterward.
BTW...Palo Duro is really nice this time of year!
Driving affords one the best of experiences and a greater appreciation for all our country has to offer!
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

ya definitly update us. Good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Sounds like fun....update us afterward.
BTW...Palo Duro is really nice this time of year!
Driving affords one the best of experiences and a greater appreciation for all our country has to offer!
Good luck!
I've been wanting to make a trip tothe Palo Durofor over 30 yrs. after I read about the wild Aoudad there in a hunting magazine.

By the way, does anyone know if there's major construction or other significant information concerning Interstates 40, 24, 57, 64, 70, 29, 80 or Nebraska state roads 2, 27, and 20 on our route that we should know about? We're planning on stopping the first night in Mt.Vernon, IL which should put us going through St. Louis about 9:30 A.M. and Kansas City around 3:00 P.M.or so on the second day. We hope that will avoid morning and noon rush hour traffic in those cities.Any suggestions and/or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Default RE: The hunt is close, 3 days before we start the long drive

My brotherman, it's two days now! It's been to many moons since we've gone west to hunt. I gott'a real good feeling about this one. After spiking out on rattlesnake ridge only to return with our cow elk tag in hand we are due. I can't wait to drill one in the heart with my 30-HART.

P.S. Do we gotta take rover?