Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Questions

Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Elk Hunting Questions

In the next few years I want to start Elk hunting, right now I only hunt Deer (both Whitetails and Mulies) and Upland, but I want to start on elk, but I have no idea on how to start, can you guys help me out and give me some tips, info on hunting them, how to get started, ect. And I'm hunting in Alberta if that helps at all.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Questions

What you going to hunt with, when is the season? Are they still in rut? It makes a big difference. If you are hunting the rut, just grab a bugle and some cow calls and get really good with them. Either will do for calling in bulls, it just takes technique. I know when I use my bugle to challange a bigger bull I will bugle and break branches and rake tree's as if I'm another bull moving in on his herd. Use a cow call to act like some cows just out mulling around. I called in a 4x5 raghorn and shot him this year by doing this. AFter I shot him I called in the herd bull on accident.. Wish I would have held off on the raghorn but it was my first bull... Do a lot of scouting and try to find out where they go for water and where they go to bed.