Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best Black Bear Preadator call / scent attractant? >

Best Black Bear Preadator call / scent attractant?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Black Bear Preadator call / scent attractant?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best Black Bear Preadator call / scent attractant?

In Massachusetts we are not allowed to bait or use dogs to hunt black bear so I was wondering what you have found to be the best preadator call? I was also wondering if any of you use scent attractants for black bear and if they have worked for you.

Thanks,

HH
Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: Best Black Bear Preadator call / scent attractant?

I can't help with the calling but I can get you started with scents. In the spring I use anise oil with a touch of tinctured beaver castor. In the fall I like fermented fruits. Mash up what ever fruit you want to use. Fill quart jars 3/4 full then add a 1/2 cup of sugar and let it ferment for about a month. You should have some liquid on pour it off and add some kind of nut flavoring. I just use walnut for the grocery The pulp makes pretty good early fox and marten bait if you can't use it for bear.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM

If baiting is illegal you will want to check on attractants. In Wa both are against the law.

I have been calling for a dozen or more years for bears. Here is a link to some tips.
http://hunting-washington.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id= 22&Itemid=45

Good luck
Old 08-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anise works well. I have also had success with bear sense smoking sticks in Anise and 10 mile of dead fish. If you can do burns - bacon, honey and black licorce have all worked as well for me. Baiting is legal hear but have always spruced baits with scents of some sort, as we prefer to use molasses and oats vs meat scraps. We also use beavers and they are the best attractant here.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the responses and suggestions.

AKchuck thanks for the recipie for the fermented fruits. I don't have the time span to make it this year but I will try it next season.

BillyTheKidRock I did double check to make sure that attractants are legal and thanks for the link on predator calling. Which preadator calls have worked best for you the fawn in distress, the rabbit, or the mouse squeaker??

Skeeter: what exactly is a burn? do you make a candle like device with bacon grease and some sort of wick or do you put the bacon, honey, etc in a coffe can and put something like a can of sterno under it?

Thanks,

HH