Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Colorado Left Over Draw Started Aug. 7 >

Colorado Left Over Draw Started Aug. 7

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Left Over Draw Started Aug. 7

Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default Colorado Left Over Draw Started Aug. 7

The Colorado Leftover Draw Started August 7th....
Anyone else out there work the Leftover tag draw here in Colorado?
================================================== =

Since Internet purchases were opening up on August 8th, I went down on the 7th and got my second elk tag (a cow only tag) to go along with my either sex tag that I got in the Aprildraw. Now I am all set, in our camp we like the "double tag system" as it pretty well gets rid ofany "party hunting" problems and whoever gets into the elk can "get right with the program" as two hunters with four elk downpretty well guarantees at minimum an "okay result" for the camp as a whole.... since we all split the meat evenly.

As is typical we had a couple "weak candidates" this year whowere gung ho in January, but then chose notto spend money or commit back in the primary April drawand now they didn't get on the ball here in August for the Leftover Draw either, and as a result all theleftover tags for the firstelk rifle season in our area are gone, zip, zilch, nada.... snooze& you lose!

Once again demonstrates that for many, the idea of going elk hunting is much more attractive than the reality of actually making it happen.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Left Over Draw Started Aug. 7

This is the post I just made in the bowhunting forum!!!

They let me trade my riflle antlered deer take for a leftover bow either sex tag up in unit 38!!!

I called my buddy and we went up to scout it. Plenty of deer and elk sign. On our way out we had a herd of 20 or more elk right beside us on a really bad road. We were sitting there watching them and here came about 4 atv's and scared them off.[:@] These elk or about 9 days from being legal and they were just standing about 20 yards from the truck.

Now I have an either sex elk and a either sex deer and can hunt them both in unit 38 from august 25th until september the 23rd. The deer tag is only good in unit 38, but the elk tag is good state wide!!

No matter how this year turns out, its sure gonna be great to be bow hunting again!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

I pulled 2 doe tags to go with my bull tag for unit 3, 301!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:09 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Three responses,
Three Colorado residents,
It would appear thatonly the local boys (and girls perhaps) are doing their homework....

"Last minute" hunters getting their tags,
Hunters wanting to double up on their hunting options,
Hunters fine tuning their license "bag"
First rifle season elk tags that are not available OTC.

Interesting....
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

I don't generally do the leftover draw. I put in the first draw and if I don't get it I wait for the leftovers to come out and buy them. I have spent some time in the areas I hunt. I don't want to move just so I can draw an antlered tag. That just means ALOT more scouting. Depending on what types of tags I have for the year depends on the areas and sign I scout. I can always get a cow/doe tag if I don't draw something with horns. But, every few years I get to do a hunt for a monster in my own back yard.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Buck and bull, both less than 2 hrs from Aurora.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Hey EKM,
I always use the leftover system to gain a couple of tags.I'll draw for a PP and usuallyget my rifle cow and a rifle doe 2nd choice and then I'll use the leftover to get an either sex archery Elk and an either sex archery Deer.This year I used PP to get a rifle Buck license.So no ES archery Deer.Sometimes I'll shoot for a Muzzloader tag as well.
It's a great way to get the tags that you want and know that you'll be hunting pretty much what you want every year.

Good luck this year!

Bill
Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

glob3006,

Looks like you know the drill.
It really does let one optimize one's options.
Now, go get 'em and take no prisoners.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Spike

I've never worried about the left over draw sine I only bow hunt for a few weeks. I typically apply for an elk PP and then get an either sex and a cow elk OTC tag. This year I applied for the PP and also an either sex deer tag that I drew. With these tags I'm up to a little over $1k. Thats about enough for me. Now if I were a resident, I may be tempted to get a few more tags since the cost per tag is sooooooooo much lower.